Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

LizaLily- Bulb Forcing Questions

susiq
18 years ago

Dear Liza,

My ears perked up at your note at the end of the Sept. journal about forcing bulbs for Valentine's.

I KNOW the "BIG" growers can & do do this, but we little ones?

Even tho I'm "trying to- supposed to be quitting" the flower biz, tulips & daffs usually do good for me each spring.

So I need instructions & I have LOTS of questions!

Do you have a cooler?

Where do you get your pots?

How many bulbs per pot?

How much do you sell them for and where?

Do you pre-cool & if so where?

Do you start them in dirt in the spare refrigerator, & if so,when?

I HAVE read some of the instructions from the big grower vendors (Ednie & maybe others), but I always am scared & feel inadequate to the task of actually DOING timed forcing.

How well do your tulip pots sell? It seems like here they are always out in the grocery stores, but no one buys them--at least while I'm looking.

Which muscaris do you usually grow? Which have been best for you (best vase life, longest stems)? Do you grow them in the ground or in crates?

I have 2 crates, I need to get more. I figured I could at least do some crate-growing this winter/early spring, even if I don't plant in a field. Do you have a source for crates? I've gotten mine via big orders w/ Brent & Becky's or Van E. Haven't seen any at Walmart/Lowe's.

LOTS of questions, hope you or others can answer.

Susi.

Comments (5)

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Well Susi, here in our climate it is really easy! And we sell them as cuts because you are right the groceries are filled with pots. We open our stands just for Valentines Day.

SO I just put 6 bulbs per gallon pot (What I Have on hand already) in the pot in bagged potting soil. I leave them outside until My business partner tells me it is time to bring them in! THey get their chill that way outside. THen I bring them in and set them under my light benches until they have a nice amount of green growth on the leaves. ONCe I see buds coming up I put them under the lights that are in front of the windows.If they look too close to blooming they go back under the bench until time. [I'll be doing 100 of Christmas MArvel and 100 of Christmas Present. Abba is another one we usually do...very double red but with a lovely rose fragrance. MY WORK ROOM IS A CORNER OF THE garage with its own inside door and insulation in the wall, and windows on 2 sides. It is small enough that the lights give it enough heat for the plants. If it is really cold then I turn the overhead lights on too. Never had it freeze up inside. But we are talking about a very temperate climate here.

As far as muscari, I think the common kind is best for my spring bouquets. It works especially well if planted in a shady location so the stems reach up tall.

Oh yes, I usually have pussy willows or forced forsythia or plum blossoms for my Valentines bouquets.

• susiq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Liza--

Thanks for responding. Helpful, but I'm still feeling confused.

WE HAVE to chill our tulips (hyacynths) for 6-10 weeks (depending on which source is advising) and THEN we get to plant in the ground, usually Mid-Dec to Mid Jan. My assumption about your climate is that you are milder than we are, even tho you're farther north. So why don't you have to pre-chill your bulbs? (Not accusing or angry or anything negative, just curious!)

So, are you planting right now? How DO you or your partner (please have her tell you so you can tell me!), KNOW "when" is the right time to bring them inside? How DOES the timing work to have blooms on Valentines?

Do you grow your muscari in the ground (ooooh! the aching backs!), or in a nice crate on a waist high surface? (much better! lol!).

I'll be away from the computer some this weekend, but go ahead and reply--I'll have messages to look forward to when I get home!

Anyone else w/ timing info on forced bulbs, chime in!

Thanks,

Susi.

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

I can't help you with timing, SusiQ, but you'll want to remember that if you're using an extra refrigerator to chill the bulbs, you need to be sure that there is no fruit in the frig. I've read that the gas (ethylene?) can affect bulbs as well as blossoms stored there.

And I think (notice I said think with some doubt) that I read somewhere that tulips need 17 weeks. Now is that 17 weeks of chilling and then more weeks of growth, or is it a total of 17 weeks, including a much shorter chilling time?

Best wishes in learning to time forced tulips. Please remember to share your experience with us, including your record-keeping.

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

LizaLily, This came in my email box today, from Donna in the Garden, writing The Garden Dirt.

"If you're buying tulips, daffodils or hyacinths for outdoor planting, buy extra for indoor forcing. Besides the bulbs, you'll need: potting soil (lighter mixes are preferable); plastic, terra cotta or ceramic pots (at least twice as deep as the bulbs) with drainage holes; a dark, cool location.

Step by step: always start with clean pots; fill the pots with an inch or two of potting soil; place the bulbs on the soil and backfill around the bulbs. Water thoroughly. Place the pots in a cool location - ideally in a refrigerator where the temperatures are between 38 to 48 degrees F. Remember you are trying to simulate the same conditions they would experience if grown in the garden during the winter months; they need the constant cold and darkness for 10 to 12 weeks.

After the requisite 'chill', introduce the potted bulbs to warmer temperatures (60 degrees F and gradual light. After 4 to 5 days; place the pots in brighter light and slightly warmer temperatures. The leaves and flower buds will continue to expand; you'll be enjoying colorful blooms in 3-4 weeks (give or take).

The flowers of forced bulbs will last longer if kept on the 'cool' side - 65 to 70 degrees F. Excessive heat will reduce the longevity of the blooms significantly."

Does this help any more? The URL will take you to the blog, where you can subscribe if you like. I receive a daily entry 5 or 6 times a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daily Dirt

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

THanks... Nice article. Discovered today that The red abba tulip we like to force also goes by the name Carlton. Was wondering what those red Carlton tulips were in my order and why I didn't order Abbas! Now I have 125 of them! I dont think I will be forcing all at once! Maybe I will succession force them. I also have Christmas MArvel and ChristmasSomething else. Anyone know of a good white or yellow for forcing?

Sponsored