Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi41_gw

Silver King Artemesia.....?

heidi41
17 years ago

No one ever seems to mention Silver King Artemesia. I've had it growing in various perennial bed in the yard and have used it periodicaly as a filler. It makes a great filler, and is easy to grow. This year I took the plunge...separated it and planted a 40 foot row of it in the cutting bed. I've also used it in the past as a base for dried wreaths. Anyone else????

Heidi

Comments (8)

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

I had to stop and look it up but yup, that is what I have been using whenever it regrows enough to cut. I have it in a place that is NOT optimum conditions so it has been rather slow growing for me. It is very nice and I like your idea of planting some in a row...almost anyplace I moved it to it would grow better then where it is at.

I also use artemesia Limelight, just to keep it from invading my whole rose garden. IT is really nice with bouquets that need a touch of sunshine added.

• anniew
    17 years ago

I like it too, especially with pink or blue flowers. However, like lizalily, I have a hard time establishing a good full bed. Guess I should also give it a designated cut spot. Ann

• bryan_ut
    17 years ago

I want to plant 500 or so. Does anyone know of a good plug place for these? Thanks.

• bluestarrgallery
    17 years ago

Heidi and Lizalily - Do you have to use a hot water dip to prevent wilting for silver king and limelight? I have used artemisia powis castle - but it wilts immediately after picking and has to be dipped in hot water to prevent this.

Bryan, I too have looked for silver king and have not seen it grown by anyone - if you hear of a source - please let me know. thanks.

• bryan_ut
    17 years ago

I did find unrooted cuttings in the germania catalog. I am ordering 1,000 of the Artemisia silver king and now need to find 2,000 cuttings I want since they have a 3,000 minimum. They are only .10 though.

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

SPRINGVILLEGARDENS I have not had nearly as much trouble with the Silver King wilting as with Powis Castle. IT has a much more woody stem and if I pick it into warm water and leave it over night in a cool place it holds up really well.

• bluestarrgallery
    17 years ago

Gee Bryan, thanks but that would be way too many plants for me - I'll keep looking for a few.

Lizalilly - thanks for the info - I was surprised when powis castle wilted so quicly and amazed that very hot water would prevent it.

Hopefully I can find some Silver King - does Silver Queen have the same attributes?

Reminds me, I have got to remember I also want to plant some sweet annie for a filler this coming year. I grew it in Arkansas and was very impressed with this plant.

• catevala
    15 years ago

I don't know it except by photos and descriptions. From those I got the impression that this artemisia has spear-shaped leaves, or at most a few zigs and zags along the leaf's margin, but certainly not fringed or deeply lobed like say 'Valerie Finnis' (if you know that artemisia).
    The Silver King labeled plants I got from a mail order company yesterday look like 'V. Finnis' with the deeply lobed or fringed leaves. Does this variety change its leaf shape from what it has when young to a more mature shape later? I can send you a photo of my plants if that wouldl help. I want to know if the mail order company knows what 'Silver King' really is!

Sponsored