Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing for glads in crates

Posted by kitkat_oregon 7 S. OR (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 29, 07 at 20:45

Hi Folks, I am going to be growing glads in crates for next season and I was wondering how early I can get them started. Are they supersensitive to light frost? I do not intend to put them in the greenhouse if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance for any input. Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing for glads in crates

I can't answer your question, but would like to know the process for doing this. I love glads, but don't want them taking up valuable garden space I use for dahlias, since they only bloom once. I'd never thought of growing them in crates, and I have a number of bulb crates. How close together can you grow them, etc. Thanks for any help and hope you get answers to yours.

Teresa

o

Hi Teresa,
As far as I understand, you can place the bulbs within about 2 inches of each other in the crate. I have been growing lilies in milk crates very successfully and I am really looking forward to doing the glads. I spoke to my supplier regarding the timing and he said that it is the frosts that hit when the bulb is already in full leaf that you have to be really careful of. So he suggested that we start them 2 weeks before our last frost date to be safe so that is what I am doing. I think that you should be able to get 12 bulbs per crate (milk crate that is) you may be able to get more but I thought that giving them a little room might be a good idea. Give the bulbs at least 2 inches of growing medium below and about 4inches on top and give them some support when the stems start to stretch. Good luck. Post back and let us know how you do please. Thanks. Kat

o

what kind of medium would you use?

i'm planning on growing them next spring for summer-fall blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here