Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloom_lady

Benary's Lime Zinnia or Envy

heirloom_lady
17 years ago

How does Benary's Lime Zinnia compare to Envy in color and size? I really like using green flowers such as Envy or Bells of Ireland, especially when mixed with orange and purple. What are some other green flowers that would be good as a cut?

Sherry

Comments (10)

• goodscents
    17 years ago

I like using green, too. I have grown both the Benary and Envy and could not tell much difference in color. Most people say the Benary is stronger growing although for me neither of them is as vigorous as other zinnias.

'Annabelle' hydrangeas turn a nice green as they age and I sometimes use them. I also like some of the green lisianthus. I think my favorite green flower, though, is 'Lime Green' nicotiana. It is a really intense yellowish green. The GeoSeed catalog says, "if the devil were jealous he's wear this in his lapel!" It looks nice with dark purple and dusky rose.
    Kirk

• heidi41
    17 years ago

I really liked the Benary Lime, They were included in a mix that I purchased this year. They didn't seem as prolific as the other zinnias but the color was great to work with. I didn't think I'd be a fan of green flowere but after seeing the green zinnia in the mix I will definitly be growing them next year. KIRK: How long of a vase life do you get from the nicotiana.?

• goodscents
    17 years ago

Heidi - They hold up pretty well, probably 5-7 days.
    Kirk

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

My lime green zinnias, green amaranth and lime nicotiana were all planted together and that turned out to be in line with a big ant hill. The ants farmed aphids on them all summer in spite of all the organic sprays I tried. They totally ruined th zinnias and amaranth but I did get some good nicotiana. Another wonderful green plant is Green Star gladioli. I love the green flowers also! I find them especially beautiful with blues, like dephinium or larkspur.

• heirloom_lady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Lime Green Nicotiana sounds great, and I think I'll try it this year. Kirk, I was wondering if you or anyone else has trouble with aphids on Nicotiana. lizalily mentioned aphids, and A. Armitage writes in one his books that aphids are attracted to Nicotiana.
    Sherry

• flowers4u
    17 years ago

I went back to Envy this year...and they did a bit better than the Benary's lime which I tried last year. I think they like it cooler -- they're doing better now than they have all summer. But, they've been cut harder as I cut off those that were more pale yellow, yucky instead of green. I love the green when it shows up! I'll keep it in, for the added color though. I too love lime nicotiana...haven't had the aphid troubles though..maybe because the aphids like the thistles (weeds) that don't get pulled like they should! :) And, green glads...LOVE them!!

Wendy

• goodscents
    17 years ago

Sherry, I have not really noticed aphids on them. The leaves are a little fuzzy and sticky/tacky like calendula so tiny bugs and dirt tend to stick to them but it has not really been a problem since the flowers are held pretty high and the lower leaves always stripped.
    Kirk

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

Another vote for Green Star glads! I've tried many green glads and that was the only one that stayed green. The others would fade to a yucky yellow soon after opening, so only one or two florets showing were green, the rest yucky.

Somebody on here recommended goldenrod for a light green. I've tried that now and it's great! The trick is to get the flower stalk before any of the flowers open. The buds are a lovely light-but-bright green and make a great filler. And no, it's NOT an allergen. It has always gotten a bum rap because of the extremely allergenic ragweed that blooms around the same time.

I've grown the green cascading amaranth (like Love-Lies-Bleeding but pale green) for several years. It's pale, not as nice and bright a color as green glads or Bells of Ireland, but as the only cascading green, it still has its uses. I've never had an aphid problem on amaranths, but then I have lots of wasps (they eat aphids and I make no attempt to get rid of them).

Jeanne

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

HOWDY THERE, JEANNE! Yes, It was at Jeanne's that I made the aquaintance with Green Star glads!

How's the weather in Idaho doing, Jeanne? If I were not on top of an island I would worry about getting drowned around her right now!Fortunately we are used to having water around us, LOL.

I have been out trying to get started on bulb planting in the hours between rain storms today. The ground was quite nice, actually but the body was out of shape for this! Well, I have a lot of planting to do to shape it up!

• maineman
    17 years ago

Another green zinnia is Burpee's Tequila Lime. Burpee also carries Envy. I don't like it that all of the green zinnias have petals that curl upward, sort of like spoons. I like for the petals to curve the other way, namely downward. I might try crossing them with some cactus flowered zinnias or chrysanthemum flowered zinnias to see if I can get a green or greenish zinnia that I like better.

MM

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor