Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

Amaryllis as Cuts?

susiq
18 years ago

Hi all!

I thought I read last year in Southern Living, or here, for sure, about using Amaryllis flowers as cuts.

I found last Nov & Dec's Southern Livings, and no info. They did have an article about using Poinsettas as cuts, but not Amaryllis.

I'm supposed to do a short garden club program next week, and thought I could use Amaryllis, either in general, or as cuts. Anybody have any info, either way? Neat web sites, varieties etc.?

I have googled a little, and did a search on this forum. Google has too many listings; this forum, apparantly, none.

TIA & Happy Thanksgiving preps and travel!

Susi

Comments (10)

• annebert
    18 years ago

Yes, they work well and usually last about 7 days. The flower farmer I worked for 2 seasons ago sold them for $4 a stem (vs $3 for lilies). If I recall the blooming sequence correctly, they tend to open 2 buds opposite each other, then the other 2 buds at 90 degree angle to the first pair open. If you cut when first set is pretty open and second set is still in bud, the buds will open. Varities we used were the typical ones sold as pot plants - red lion, appleblossom, etc.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I think Martha Stewart plugs the hollow stems with a wet cotton ball. Whether that is necessary or not, I have no idea.

Jeanne

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

It's interesting that you should note the cotton ball, Jeanne. I've never cut amaryllis, but as soon as I read SusiQ's post, I thought of hollow stems and delphiniums, which, for me, seem to hold up better when filled with water and then plugged with wet cotton balls. I wondered if the hollow amaryllis might like the same treatment. I like reading what you know.

• susiq
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Anne, Jeanne, and Jan!

My program was yesterday and all went well. Except for the poor half price barely in bloom sad Amaryllis from Walmart, but they were "good enough" to demonstrate. Didn't have time or $ to order in from the florist wholesaler.

I did a kind of dual purpose program: made a fall arrangement out of gathered colorful foliage and pinecones, then, since I had the Oasis resting inside a plastic bag inside the container, I lifted it out and replaced it w/ a Christmas arrangement of cut Poinsettias, rosemary, an exotic Elephant ear leaf I had, some coleous, other "gathereds". The ladies loved it. It was a very small group of old friends, so the sad Amaryllis didn't matter as much as if I was doing this for a bigger group. For which, I would hope I'd plan ahead better! Still, the dual arrangements were a big hit!

Oh yes. I was racing through Walmart Monday night and saw some new solid color, nearly square, pot holders w/ a pocket and a hanging loop in back. I thought GREAT IDEA! I bought a sage one and a red one, filled them w/ jars of water (AFTER I got to the hostess' home!), and various sprigs of fall or Christmas gathereds. THAT was a cool idea and one you could use for yourselves or others. I'm sure similar ideas have been done, but I don't think I'd seen the use of a pot holder as the "holder". Buy, fill, then hang on your kitchen cabinet door--that you don't open very often!

Thanks for your help--I didn't forget you--just long weekend away & not enough time when I got home.

Susi.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

I just ran across some information regarding using amaryllis as cutflowers. It's too late for your program, Susi; however, it may be of use to many of us who will be doing floral arrangements for the holidays.

Flowers such as amaryllis, delphiniums, and lupins last much longer if a cane is inserted in the hollow stem. The cane helps support the weight of the flower. With the delphiniums and lupins the stems will hold in place with the cane which you would push up through the hollow stem. With amaryllis you may want to poke a wad of cotton ball in behind the cane. Because the cut ends of amaryllis tend to split, you can also twist a rubber band around the very bottom of the stem. This would also help keep the cane in place.

Timely information which I think I shall try very shortly. Anyway, I'm thinking bamboo support or wooden dowel.

BTW, Susi, loved the potholder w/pocket filled with winter gathered sprigs. In the fall, we sell the metal pockets filled with rosehips and eucalyptus. I think alot of people buy them for hostess gifts. We market in a college town. Many of our customers start having football parties right after Labor Day. Our market goes right up until Thanksgiving.

• olgaflowers
    15 years ago

Hello,
    Glad to have found this post " susiQ "
    May I ask will it affect near years bloom ?
    by cutting them to enjoy in my home, Mine are outside.
    Thank's Olgaflowers

• susiq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olga, thanks for finding this long lost post! Someone else read it and posted a question directly to me, which I've just answered. My email account has been on the blitz lately, so I just found your note to me today.

I haven't been active on this forum in a long while, so it's amazing that both you and someone else found one of my old posts and are writing to me!

An aside: hi to all of my old friends, I'll try to get active again soon! Hope all is well.

To your question, I don't think cutting an amaryllis bloom would affect next year's growth, but I am NOT a botanist. It would depend on how you cut the stem, and if you damage the bulb when you cut. I've cut tulips and daffs dozens of times. Because I'm thrifty, I try not to cut into the bulb, but if you have many flowers (or a bigger budget), then the cut flower growers typically cut well into the bulb, or yank the bulb out of the ground all together, to get the longest possible stem length. As a home gardener just wanting a few flowers in your vase, I'd recommend leaving 1/2 inch or an inch of stem on the plant, and then enjoying the cut flowers as you wish.

I always say "experiment, see if it works!" Try it w/ a sale amaryllis at Lowe's or Walmart. Cut the stem, plant the bulb in the ground, see what happens the following year. If it works you'll be set for the future years, if it doesn't, you haven't wasted much money.

Maybe someone else can also chime in, who's been more active with flowers more recently than me.

Hope this helps-- thanks for asking and pulling me back into the fold! At least temporarily!

susiq.

• olgaflowers
    15 years ago

Susieq,
    Good to know Your back in the Garden loop !
    and I will keep in mind about buying cheapies as a learning
    experience. I also found out I can cut the stem ( just the stem ) not the bulb and enjoy them inside as long as I leave the Foliage alone. I have the amaryllis RED LION and
    my house is dark red brick ' Sorta clashes " and wanted to enjoy them in a clear vase.
    I didn't know their was a Amaryllis Forum !! YAY !
    now I'm hook !
    Thank You for your help ! Best Gardening to everyone !
    Olga,

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

We use Amaryllis in large numbers for our winter bouquets. Talk about an addiction! THey are fabulous! ONce the first buds are plump and starting to open they can be used and we do no special treatment of them, THey still will last for 10 days or longer. We do put them in water with flower food, and we mix them with all kinds of evergreens, and other winter or spring blooming shrubs and bulb flowers.

Feed your bulbs good including after the flowers are cut. Strive to grow the healthiest foliage on the bulbs because it acts as a food processing plant for the bulb. Keep the leaves growing until fall, then let them dry up naturally, harvest and clean the bulbs, and restart as desired for winter blooms. I am up to nearly 100 bulbs now and breeding my own new plants from seeds...visit the Amaryllis/ Hippeastrum Garden Web forum and you will soon be hooked! too!

• parodise
    10 years ago

OK, here's a dumb question: how come the stems of cut Amaryllis I see at florist's are all so really thick (including at the top) and sturdy? I read in this thread that regular pot varieties are used for cutting as well. Is it excellent greenhouse conditions? The age of the bulb? I personally never see stems of this kind on plants grown at home, or not for cutting.
    Thanks.
    Lena

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz