Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut Sunflowers Won't Open??

Posted by rosybunny 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 0:21

Hey guys, I'm very new to gardening and cutting flowers for arranging. This summer I grew sunflowers for the first time and it was very exciting! I had read that sunflowers could be cut before they fully open, put into a vase and they would continue to open. However that was not the case with my flowers, namely Peach Passion and Valentine. Can anyone share their thoughts/experience? Much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut Sunflowers Won't Open??

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 15:22

A completely closed sunflower will often not open after cut. A good percentage of the petals must be starting to lift before cutting. Personally I prefer cutting when the sunflower is a tight cup shape, or that all the petals have lifted.

o

Closed sunflowers do open. Years ago, After a hurricane flattened a field of sunflowers, we went through and cut all the stems so they would not curve. 90 percent of those bloomed over the next week or so. We cut all of our Sunflowers tight. (not yet lifting of the center disk) Less damage to petals while being delivered to florists. They usually are fully open for me in three days.

o

Thank you to both for your responses.

I'm really puzzled why my cut sunflowers wouldn't open...????? The plants grew very well and bloomed plenty. Flowers had no problem opening fully on the plants.

I never cut any that were still tightly shut, only the ones about 70%-80% open, meaning the petals were already pointing outwards. Then I put them in the house which was VERY warm this past summer, which should prompt cut flowers to open(?).

Following the logic that perhaps the cut flowers needed more energy to open, I tried adding sugar and bleach to the water, but then I read here that sugar would over hydrate sunflowers so I stopped using sugar, and the sugar didn't make the flowers open anyways. I guess next year I will try the sugar method again and see what happens.

Happy TG everybody.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here