Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed companies you'd recommend/small grower

Posted by PhylRae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 05 at 6:12

I don't really need that many new seeds, but wondered if you have fav companies that would sell smaller amts. (not just huge amts. for businesses). I probably already know which ones are the most reputable, but need some reminders I guess. Thanks! Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed companies you'd recommend/small grower

I order most things now from GeoSeed (www.GeoSeed.com). I heard about this company from a posting on this forum last year sometime. The prices are much lower than I can get anywhere else for the small volume I buy and the selection is huge. There is no on-line catalog, you have to call and they will mail you one. Most quantities are not real small - usually 100 is the smallest count, and most are 500 to 1000 - but lots of things like zinnias and sunflowers can be held from one year to the next so buying the larger amounts is fine.
Kirk

o

Johnny's, Territorial and Harris are the ones I've used the most who sell in small amounts as well as big. Seeds of Change is very good but has a very limited selection. Burpee (limited selection also) is okay although their prices are a bit high. Stokes and HPS offer small amounts of most of their seeds although they market more to big growers. I don't order from Park anymore - germination of a lot of their seeds is strictly iffy. I rarely order from Thompson and Morgan, for the same reason, only worse. Sometimes I'll be tempted by some of their really unusual things, knowing full well that it's a gamble as they may not germinate at all. Pinetree offers REALLY small amounts, for the small home gardener, I guess, but I rarely order from them any more either. They tend to send stuff really late, past even my ultra-late start times, no matter how early I order. Their seed is usually pretty good quality, though, so if you plan to start something late or even the following year (in the case of sunflowers) Pinetree is okay.

Germania has been one of my two biggest suppliers, but now that I'm going to be just a home gardener, I may not be ordering from them at all. They have small amounts available in a few things but not many, and minimum packet price works out to be high for small amounts of seed. Still, they may have a few specific things I really want, like for instance seeds of a specific color of a specific series of columbines that I want for my yard/cutting garden. That's still cheaper than buying them already grown at the garden center, assuming I could even find that specific a plant at any local garden center (really bad assumption). Germania doesn't have a minimum order requirement for seeds.

Jeanne

o

I second Jeanne's recommendation of Stokes. They're very good for offering separate colors, as well as mixes, in modestly priced packets. You might also look at Pinetree Gardens. All of their packets are modestly sized and modestly priced. They don't have all the latest varieties, but are worthwhile if you just want to try something with a minimal investment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinetree Gardens

o

• Posted by SusiQ NETX, Zone 7B (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 10:13

Renee's Seeds and Select Seeds are also good. They are mostly to the home-owner, but have reasonably priced packets. Select Seeds has a gorgeous catelog. I circle EVERYTHING in it as my wish list! LOL!

Renee's is a spin off (I think) of White Flower Farm, if you can't find the specific web site. I think they should be:

selectseeds.com

reneesseeds.com or reneeseeds.com

Good luck.

Susi

o

Ok, I'm running out of time this morning, but I wanted to thank you all for your help...Kirk, Jeanne, Neil and Susi....
I just got a Stokes catalog in the mail yesterday...and emailed customer service for the other companies....I could spend hours looking at those catalogs...I do remember you guys (or someone) mentioning last year that Thompson & Morgan's seeds had poor germination. Good to know. Again, I appreciate all your help. Hope you have a great weekend. Phyl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here