Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Any fav striped or polka-dotted flowers?

phylrae
18 years ago

I am in love with STRIPES and polka-dots. (I'd esp. LOVE some yellow and white striped flowers...do they exist?) I have a few striped roses, and am aware that there are some stripey looking dinnerplate dahlias out there, but they look way too big for bouquets. I know of Swizzle zinnias. Any suggestions for ANY OTHER kind of striped flowers in existence that are good for bouquets?

Thanks! Phyl

Comments (13)

• hopflower
    18 years ago

There are alstromerias, or Peruvian Lilies as they are sometimes called.

• susiq
    18 years ago

The Wowie Zowie (or Zowie Wowie?) Zinnia is striped. (from Ivy Garth, and they'll do VERY small orders. I know! BTW, I think Germania & Johnnie's will also do small orders. W/ Germania, if you buy over $75 in seeds they don't charge shipping, I think, which is around $4.75 otherwise.Check w/ them for sure.) I cut my only 4 Wowie Zowie's yesterday--they are bright red & yellow, or orangy-red & yellow, similar to Carosel/Swizzle zinnias. Very perky and fun looking. Wish I'd planted more, earlier. If you read the "new this year" thread you'll know that mine didn't get much or very good care.

There are LOTS of varigated plants: privet, certain hydrangeas, mints, sages, I think some Cosmos', hostas, grasses, ferns?, just keep your eyes open. You'd have to use the foliage on some of these, but it would give a striped look to your bouquets w/o being a flower.

Good luck!

Susi.

• bfff_tx
    18 years ago

Phyl
    Try Peppermint Twist/Stick Zinnias, don't forget the Marigolds. Does Dianthus x B. fit into the Polka Dot category say 'Hollandia or Electron'.
    Cheers Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

The Double Dandy sunflower we discussed elsewhere is sort of striped, sort of polka-dotted, but really neither. And sometimes solid colored. Variable variegation is the only description I can think of for it, no two are alike, and it's the flower that's variegated, not the foliage.

Jeanne

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hopflower, Susi, Kim and Jeanne,

I'm looking all your recommendations up online right now. I know that the Peruvian lilies are only annuals here...
    the new zinnia you mentioned I just came across lastnight in my Stokes catalog...pretty!
    Swizzle cherry & ivory look nice, not so crazy about the yellow & white....Peppermint stick will look into....and definitely the dianthus if tall enough. Want to try the Amazons too.
    Marigolds-are there striped ones that are large enough for cutting? Haven't come across them...
    Double Dandy, Jeanne, I'll have to look that one up again...right now the only ones I definitely remember enough to grow again were the Procuts and Double Quick and Lemon Aura and Teddy Bear. Thanks! Happy Friday! :0) Phyl

• LeahB
    18 years ago

My favorite striped flower is a rose, Rosa Mundi. She's pink and white and has a nice fragrance, only blooms in June, though. I have a cute chedder pink that has polka dots, very cute, but again its pink and white. Sorry, I don't have any yellow striped of polka-dot flowers.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LeahB,
    Thanks for your suggestions...I have a few striped roses, but not Rosa Mundi. The cheddar pink I have is nice, but too short! I'll keep them in mind. :0) Phyl

• LeahB
    18 years ago

Oops, I just realized that this is the Cutting Garden forum. I meant to click on the Cottage Garden forum. Sorry, but I don't have any striped flowers with a long enough stem for cutting. There are some very nice oriental and asiatic lilies with spots, however. I just love lilies for fragrance.

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

A striped Marigold I like is Harlequin Tagetes. It is a maroony red and yellow. I don't know how it does as a cut, though. Very easy to collect seed and regrow the next year.
    Susan

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

And, don't forget ribbon grass for foliage/filler! I love it!

Wendy

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again everyone....I'm still looking up your suggestions in my seed catalogs! :0) Phyl

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

PhylRae,
    How about green & white stripes?
    I love Euphorbia marginata. There's a discussion on another
    thread next to this one. It is a good cutflower.

{{gwi:360453}}

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pitimpinai,
    Sorry, didn't see your photo/post! It's gorgeous! I'll look it up...a perennial I think? Thanks for the photo....your garden is just beautiful. :0) Phyl

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists