Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitt_gw

Good sources for bulk gladiolus corms

pitt
14 years ago

Can anyone share a good source for bulk purchase of gladiolus corms? I will be purchasing 200+ white glads and 200+ green glads for a July 17 wedding (zone 5).

I have purchased mixed in the past, but wanted to call on the expertise at this site. I've searched the forums and googled until I am dizzy. ; )

Thank you in advance for any replies. pitt-Indiana grower

Comments (12)

• ekgrows
    14 years ago

Check out Harris seeds - I have a link below. They come in quantities of 500. I have used bloomingbulb.com in the past as well. I know I am missing more sources - hopefully I will remember them, and post back.

Here is a link that might be useful: harris glads

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I've used Ednie and have been happy with the quality of the corms. Their ordering system is a bit different than I've usually experienced - you have to e-mail in your order, and then I find I have to e-mail them again to see if they got it, and then in spring I've had some problems with them forgetting things, etc., but they've always come through in the end and again, the quality is good. I tried them because they were very highly recommended, from what I could read around the internet on cutflower sites, etc.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Ednie

• pitt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I think I found my source with your help! ; )

pitt from Indiana (brrrrrrr.......)

• kitkat_oregon
    14 years ago

Pitt, I used Noweta gardens. The pricing seems reasonable and I was really pleased with the corms. Link below. Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: Noweta gardens

• flower_farmer
    14 years ago

Ednie is a very good source for bulbs. We've always called in our orders; therefore, we know immediately if a product isn't going to be available. High quality bulbs, and super customer service. Love their Acidenthera, Allium, Erumurus, Crocosmia, Callas, Narcissi, Ranunculus, Tulips, and, of course, they have wonderful lily bulbs.

However, a source for gladioli bulbs closer to Indiana (think shipping costs) is a farm located in southwestern Michigan that specializes in gladioli. Their gladiolus are breathtakingly beautiful. You can phone them, and they will send you a catalog. Great customer service. They're there to answer any questions you may have including pest control. The name of the company is Nagel Bulb Company located in Schoolcraft, Michigan. I don't think they have a website. Although, they may now have one. We always call them. They are actually fellow vendors at two of our farmers markets. You can go to yellowpages.com for their telephone number. I would do that for you; however, Firefox likes to crash whenever I visit GardenWeb.

• pitt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I called Nagel Bulb Co. and received the catalog yesterday. That's was quick! The variety is wonderful as well as the pricing. I am placing my order soon! Thanks to all for your input. pitt-IN 5

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I can't seem to find this Nagel Bulb company. Do they have a website, and do you have the address?

Thanks!
    Dee

• pitt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nagel info:

for wholesale glad catalog, I called,
    Fred Nagel & Sons
    269-279-2379

e-mail on front of catalog:
    nagels@myrural.com

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Thank you, Pitt! Much appreciated!

Dee

• running_free
    14 years ago

Lost my original post to the purge on 12-30-09 but I just wanted to says thanks for all the great leads! I had actually begun searching glads for mail-order purchase hoping to find better prices than the local retailers (without alot of luck). I did around 100 last year just for fun, the price of 500 large corms should be easily negated with a few sales. Should be fun, with some success I'll be sure to post some pics this summer.

~Wes

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I just wanted to add that I was never a big fan of gladiolus, but two years ago tried some for the first time. And then last year, I placed a larger order, and discovered that my first-year corms were coming back! A nice surprise, since they shouldn't be hardy here and I just left them in the ground. Downside was that I had to find more space to plant the new ones, lol.

But my point is, I have come to really love these blooms. They really are gorgeous in bouquets, and add a lot of structure and form and elegance. I don't think I will ever be without them from now on.

Got my catalog from Nagels and now I'm just trying to practice some restraint...

Dee

• User
    6 years ago

Go for it, Dee! You only live once! ;-) Happy Gardening, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Sponsored