Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing dahlia tubers

Posted by Octogenarian z5 Lake Erie (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 8:43

An entry on the dahlia thread recommends storing in saran wrap rather than peat moss. I'd like an opinion from my knowledgeable friends on the cutting forum please, Doug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing dahlia tubers

They have done well in dry peat moss, in cardboard boxes, in a cool (but not freezing) room here. I've never tried Saran Wrap. If I did, I'd let the rhizomes dry off thoroughly first, to prevent rotting in storage.

Jeanne

o

Hi Doug,

This is how we store our dahlia tubers. We finished digging the tubers around 10 days ago. All the crates are labelled and stacked in storage. Next week we will separate the tubers. At that time, the crates are lined with newspapers and we'll use wood shavings. The temperature in storage is kept around 40 degrees. Some growers use wooden crates. As a grape grower, I expect you have these; and, they would work fine. The bulb crates pictured are the same type of crates we use to grow our lilies in the hoophouses.

Your dahlia farmer friend,
Trish

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Thank you both. We used our available wood chips, Jack Daniels oak smoking chips, and covered with peat moss and newspaper. Used a closet with two outside walls, containing my wife's dresses. I moved them out. The temp. running right on 40F. Doug

o

Oh my goodness, Doug. With those Jack Daniels smoked woodchips, my dahlia tubers may just be envious of yours!! With our very COLD temperatures, we also continue to maintain 40 degrees in storage.

Trish

o

Drunken dahlias! I picture the new sprouts coming out in spirals with floppetty foliage. Maybe nodding flowers, too!

(Of course the chips won't really affect the tuber performance, it's just fun to picture it).

Does your wife know you took her dresses out of the closet?

Jeanne

o

The tubers are fine. Appear to be in a contented stupor. Hopefully, we saved some seeds, stored the wilted blossoms in a brown paper shopping sack, hung on a nail in the rafters, away from the mice. Hope to root some cuttings too. Those are my wife's working clothes, she won't miss them 'til around April. Took FF's advice and started some rudebekia yesterday before the snow hit. (around 6" last nite)
Doug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here