Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsbar

need help about flower arranging

mrsbar
18 years ago

Does anyone know what a traditional english flower arrangement looks like? Is it formally balanced, does it contain certain flowers? etc. Any help would be appreciated

Comments (6)

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

I don't know much about this, but I've found two resources that might be helpful to you. One is a website. On the left, click on Photo Album. You'll have several choices of period designs, including the English Georgian and Victorian styles.

Betty Belcher has written Creative Flower Arranging; Floral Design for Home and Flower Show (Timber Press, 1993). She writes that the Georgian period (18th and 19th centuries) can be divided into Early and Late Georgian. "Early Georgian containers were generally heavy metal or marble urns. Plant material in rich warm colors--tulips, lilacs, fruit blossoms, columbine, and grasses--were often used. Late Georgian design differed in that the colors became more delicate and designs showed a strong French influence. Designs were triangular in form with perfect symmetry."

Victorian designs (19th century) were more compact, "globular or circular in form. Bold rich colors or all-white arrangements were common. Unlike those in the French style, designs were often wider than they were tall. Circular nosegays became popular at this time, and special folding stands were made expressly for them so that they did not have to be held continuously. Fruits and foliage, without flowers, were sometimes arranged in various kinds of Victorian glass, rose bowls, silver, Haviland china, or Belleek porcelain. Figurines, Currier and Ives prints, photo albums, prayer books, sewing boxes, or music boxes were often used as accessories."

The accompanying photo of an Early Georgian design shows an arrangement composed of glads, lilies, spider mums, delphiniums,iris, and more. Colors include purple, violet, orange, and white. An Atlas-type figure holds up one arm, supporting the container filled with flowers in a tall triangle, rather open on the outside edges. It is quite symmetrical.

I hope these resources will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Association of Garden Clubs

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Jan, that sounded interesting to me, but I couldn't get there with the link you posted. Is there another way?

Jeanne

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

Jeanne, maybe this will work better: http://www.oagc.org

You'll still follow the path from Photo Album to Period Designs. I don't think English is listed in the links, but Georgian is.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! (I'm much more interested in creating a centerpiece today than I am in cleaning and cooking.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Assn Garden Clubs

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Yes, thank you, that worked just fine. Interesting examples.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Here's a quick and straightforward description of a traditional English bouquets: roses, lilies, daffodills, freesia, and ivy. There are, of course, variations; but, this is the general idea. There are a some books available with great photos. Some of us substitute the daffodills and freesia with dahlias during the summer months.

Inquiring minds want to know if you are making traditional bouquets for a wedding.....

• Josh
    18 years ago

Here's a site by a British teacher, writer on flower arrangement which has pages and pages of examples. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Arranging

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler