Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goshawker

Wreath Question

goshawker
18 years ago

I have a question regarding wreaths for Bryan or anyone else that may know the answer. Once you have them made how do you transport them so as to not crush them. Also, how do you display them at your FM for people to see. I've got some ideas on displaying them but wanted to hear what others may have done before I go and buy materials to make a display.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (30)

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Steve, twig wreaths I just stack for transport. Floral wreaths I usually use shelves. At the FM I have used old wood to hang them and I have used lattice on fencing posts. I am still looking for a better way to hang them. At the FM I don't have too hard of sometime, because they are usually sold before I make them.

Good luck. Next week we are cutting douglas fir.

I will send you some pics of the dogwood/rosehip we are making now.

Bryan

• goshawker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bryan,

I was thinking of the lattice set-up as well. I am trying to come up with something that stores small and sets up easily, but also maximizes space. When I figure it out I'll let you know. I planned on stacking the twig wreaths as well. We made a bunch of Pampass grass wreaths that I'm going to transport on a metal clothes bar between the windows in the back seat. My wife has made Red oak leaf, Red cedars loaded with berries, Sumac, and Red twigged dogwood and Pampass grass wreaths. I'll send you some pictures when we've got them all made.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

• buckster
    18 years ago

Yo, Steve,

So how did it go??? I made some wreaths this year and did ok. But got the flu and haven't been out since.

Take care Tim

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Steve, sure would like to see pics of your wreaths!

Liza

• goshawker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well,

The craft sale that my wife did at our church was a bust, she only sold 9 of the 50 wreaths we made, 4 of them to other vendors who wanted them for themselves. She was really discouraged. So when I got back from deer hunting I loaded 22 of the nicest ones up in my truck and decided to see if I could peddle them at my florists on the following Monday. I stopped at my big florsits and she took them all. She asked me if I would come down on price if she ordered more. I told her if all I had to do was bring plain wreaths, no bows or ribbon or pine cones attached, then yes I would deal come down depending on how many she wanted. She met with one of the owners who seemed to like the wreaths because they were totally different than anything else they carried. She came back with a list of the three they liked the best, it was for 160 wreaths. The kicker was, she wanted them in 3 days. I enlisted the help of my in-laws and we got it done. Then Monday(p.m.) she e-mails me wanting another 62 of them by Wednesday(today). The problem is that I don't grow any of the materials I used(Red twigged dogwood, Red Cedar, White pine and Sumac seed heads. So I had to find it, get permission to cut it and then haul it home. My father-in-law and I cut and my wife and mother-in-law made them. I also sold another 40 to a couple of my other shops, full price.

So now that I know there is definately a market here, I will plan ahead next year. We got allot of the kinks worked out and found out what sells, we also got more efficient as time went on. I wish I knew how to post pictures so I could post some.

Time for bed,

Steve

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Steve - good job!! My mom and I made wreaths for our Sat. Mkt. Christmas mkt. last weekend. Interestingly enough, this year we sold more -- but more of the big (18")grapevine wreaths with not alot of greenery, nice ribbons, pinecones, and other accents. We did sell some greenery wreaths, but not as many. I think due to the timing of this market, I didn't sell as many centerpieces :( And some of them had my late fall white spider mums...darn! But, maybe I'll sell them in the next few days! All my greenery is still outside getting about 6" of snow on it!

If you have juniper or arbovitae (sp?) try those! The arbovitae work just like cedar! I have 3 large ones and we prune one every year and get lots!!! I also use Otto Luyken and English laurel which hold very well!

Great job, again!
    Wendy

• bonnie_ny
    18 years ago

I make wreaths to sell through our family's Christmas Tree farm and through work. Has anyone ever used boxwood for wreaths? How about spruce, I don't know how well the needles would stay on. I use Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Concolor, cedar, yew and juniper. Does anyone make kissing balls? I hate making them but get a lot of orders every year for them.

• buckster
    18 years ago

Hey Bonnie,

I use everything and anything in my wreaths. I say go for it.

On another note Steve I'm so happy for u. I have not been as blessed this year with my wreaths.

I sold about 350.00 at church today all for church. So I was happy with that.

Overall it has been a hard sell this year.

Well take care and God bless all,

Tim

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

You all are doing great! I also would love to see some of the wreaths, they sound very nice, including the grapevine. I did put a few (very few) out in my stand this year, I have fir growing in my woods, and I really like making the wreaths so thought, what the heck. I have to check on some of these other trees and shrubs you have all mentioned to see what grows here. I'm sure that cedar is not plentiful around this area, and I would hate to work with juniper since it makes me break out in the summer when I'm trimming it, of course I wouldn't have short sleves on now! Ok you guys, lets see some pics of these wreaths. Congradulations Steve on your success, and to your wife as well.
    Cheryl

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Steve, I loved your pic, especially the sumac. Let me know what kind it is. That is really cool the wreaths are taking off so good for you! We are in it knee deep and I cannot cut or make them fast enough.

All, We are using Dogwood, Birch, Manzanita, Rose-hip, Fir, juniper, MT Lillac and boxwood now. Curly Willow is next up, hopefully by the 15th (We already have 500 ordered).

I am planning on doing a Boxwood and Heather square for January/February.

Here is a URL from last year. I need to update as I get some new pics.

http://community.webshots.com/album/114492839qRWEnq

I hope everyone is having fun gettting their seed orders in and dreaming of SPRING!! :)

Bryan

• SpoWa
    18 years ago

Can I ask some questions related to this subject? Do you use a wire frame for your wreaths or just tie the branches together? Is there a trick to keeping them fresh longer? The reason I ask is that all of my evergreens need trimming and so I have been making evergreen centerpieces as gifts and to sell at my nephews shop. I want to make some wreaths, but was afraid they would be dried up before Christmas. I think you are all amazing with the things you create!
    Steve that is so great that you turned around an overstock into a shortage. I have a 5 year plan to quit my cushy job and do this kinda stuff full time. But I know that my weakness is I am no salesman. I love to read about what you all do to make a win.

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Spo Wa, the only way to go is a Maple Ridge wreath master machine and Mitchells wreath rings. You will have to work on the salesman, eventhough the pitch doesn't sell the wreath. The wreath should sell the wreath.

A evergreen wreath will last 1 month inside, 2 to 3 outside. Good luck.

Bryan

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Steve,
    Where could I see this pic?
    Cheryl

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Steve,
    If you would like to email photos of your wreaths to me, I would be happy to post them here on the Cutting Garden for you. Seems there are many of us who would love to see those wreaths.
    BTW, nice going with your latest venture. We always appreciate your positive outlook.

Email address: dahliafarmer@aol.com

Trish, (Trying to survive winter)

• spivey13
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I haven't invested in a Maple Ridge Wreathmaster yet, but it sounds like you all agree it's the way to go. One question--has anyone used the Maple Ridge and Mitchells combination to make really huge wreaths? A local florist asked if I could make any out of twigs/branches that would span 5 feet or so (outside diameter) to hang on barns, outside of homes, etc. I see Mitchell's sells big wreath forms - 48" would probably do it. Can the Wreathmaster handle that size of form as well?
    Thanks in advance,
    Cathy

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Cathy, the wreathmaster can do any size of ring. To get a 5' twig wreath you would use a 24" or 30" ring. A 48" ring would probably be close to 7' - 8'. On a twig wreath I usually add 30" or more to outside diameter of ring. You are going to cut your twigs down to 18" to 24" for that size of wreath. I tell most customers to take the ring size and times by 2 to 2 1/2 to get actual size.

Florals are different usually 1 1/2 to 2 times the size.

Bryan.

PS I will try and post a pic of a 6' floral wreath tomorrow. I have it hanging up in my office. It is done on a 30" ring.

• spivey13
    18 years ago

Thanks Bryan,
    I'll look forward to seeing that photo and any more. The album you already have posted is beautiful. Thanks again for the info--I think the 48" ring would probably be too big--I bet it would weigh a ton!

Thanks, Cathy

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Here is a close-up
    {{gwi:619916}}

Here is the wreath.

{{gwi:626815}}

Bryan

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Wow! Now that's a wreath. Thanks so much Bryan for posting that. Those wreath machines do quite the job, along with your talent for growing and arranging, of course.
    Cheryl

• buckster
    18 years ago

Bryan,

That is awesome.....

BTW I have the Mitchel step machine. Is the Maple ridge machine really that much better.

I really like ur wreaths. Are you still selling them in OC.

Take Care,
    Tim

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Tim, I have had both. There is a huge difference. The overhead arm really is the main point. I have three wreathmasters now and won't use the mitchells.

I wish I were in OC. On my porch Wednesday it was -27. Yes that is a minus sign!! I hate this cold. We can only trim for about 1 hour at a time and only between 11 and 3pm. The chain saws used for cutting curly willow really have a tough time, so does my body.

We do have a guy that brings wreaths up from down there and takes ours back down that way. I am still trying to get permission on Yucca in Lytle creek, if you know some-one.

Also do you know of any pepperberry or heather growers?

thanks.

Frozen in Utah.

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Bryan, I agree - Beautiful! Thanks for posting.
    Would you mind...posting a picture of the wreath machine? And the wreaths/clamps? I have found a few pictures, but still can't "get the picture!
    I need to find someone around here that has one and go look...approximately how long are your stems (not counting wispy ones)? How big are the bunches!
    Thanks,
    Wendy (who handtied a 12" wreath last night in 15 degree weather in my barn - with a woodstove going)!

• buckster
    18 years ago

Bryan,

Let me look into it. I work with the forest service alot. You need to let me know what type you want and how many. Right now I have the idea for a dried yucca florret that is dried after flowering. The yucca itself is about 3 ft across and alive. Were talking ground yucca's here not Joshua trees? Right if you have a picture post if if you can.

Now as for the wreath machine I mounted mine/welded it to a stand. I'm happy with it because I only make about 10 a week. If my bussiness grows I get the one from maple ridge.

Take care,
    Tim

• goshawker
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bryan,

That big wreath is gorgeous!!! Being the man of numbers that you are, how many hours of labor was invested? How did you support the wreath on the opposite side of the clamper while you were making it? How many different materials did you use, looks like about 10 kinds of things from what I can see. I just got back from a trip to Seattle and I was constantly looking in the ditches at plants thinking how they could be used.

Good luck with all the wreaths you have left.

Trish, a.k.a. dahliafarmer, I'll e-mail the pics to you.

Steve

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Here's some pictures of the wreaths Steve sent to me. They are beautiful.

Steve did mention in his message that the ones he sold the most were the Dogwwod/Sumac, and Western Red Cedar with all the blue berries on them.

{{gwi:626816}}

{{gwi:626817}}

The four on the white display door were the ones that Steve's wife brought to the craft fair. Wait. Those are doors? I thought they were shutters. Anyway, I love the use of doors/shutters for display. What a nice country look!! I also like the touch of bittersweet.

{{gwi:626818}}

{{gwi:626819}}

Close up of previous wreath:

{{gwi:626820}}

Thanks, Steve, for sharing these with us.

Trish

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

WOW! Steve and company great job!! These are so fun to see! THANKS to you and Flowerfarmer for posting!!

To display wreaths and other hanging items, I used pvc lattice (half of a 4 x 8' piece cut in half lengthwise) hung from my canopy and used "S" hooks...easy and flexible and no tools required! I'll post a picture soon, I hope!

Wendy

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

Nice job on the wreaths. I love the dogwood, and the cedar. What are those red berries? How do they hold up?
    Cheryl

• honeybunny442
    18 years ago

Everyones wreaths are very cool! Now I'm itching to try a few! I checked for a ring at the local hobby store (Hobby Lobby) but they were very flimsy and not intended for evergreens. Pooh.
    susan

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

Wendy, I will try and get the pics of the wreath maker, bundles and wreaths today.

Tim, the yucca are about 3' high and 3' wide, green and very sharp, almost like a alovera plant but huge. The pole comes out of the middle of the plant and is about 12' high with a flower/seed head on top. I need hundreds of the poles.

Steve, I hope your knee deep in wreathmaking. The big ones usually take about 30 minitues once you have all the materials cut. To make the big ones we use a shelf attached to the back of the wreath maker. That wreath has corn tassel, sea lavendar, echinops, purple maj. millet, purple and white statice, red and purple gomphrena, hi-z celosia, and yarrow, so you were right at 10. Did you stop at Pike's place market? Seattle is great. Keep your eyes open for other materials.

Merry Chrismas and happy seed ordering!!

Bryan

• bonnie_ny
    18 years ago

I really enjoyed this forum during the wreath season (when I had time to read it) It was fun to see what other people make and where they sell them. The pictures were great. I worked on a small website today to show some of our wreaths, I hope it opens ok. My future daughter-in-law (as of Christmas Day) started making them with me this year. We both had quite a few orders from our workplaces but sales at my family's Christmas Tree Farm were down this year, not sure why.

Here is a link that might be useful: wreath pictures

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County