Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cut flowers in full, full sun

Posted by marymargaret21 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 16:54

I live in N. MS, zone 7, hot,humid, sunny, and dry during the summer. Wet in spring and fall for the most part.

So many plants listed as growing in FULL SUN would burn to a crisp where I live, if you put them in full sun. Especially full, full sun, meaning 8 or more hours of direct sun a day.

So what flowers for cutting will stand 8 or more hours of direct SOUTH sun in N. Mississippi?? Besides sunflowers?

I have a lot of extra garden space in my veggie bed and would like to plant flowers for cutting. Like I said, full, full south sun.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post and help me with this question! I could really use your expert advice and tried and true wisdom!

Take care, have a great day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cut flowers in full, full sun

Full full west sun would be worse than south sun. but here's some stuff you can consider.
Zinnias, any variety of Celosia, Gomphrena, Amaranths, Tuberoses, Veronicas, Ornamental Grasses, Millets, Ageratum, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Salvia, Tithonia.
Hope that helps MaryMargaret.
Cheers Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

o

Zinnia, Sunflower, Rudbeckia, Aster, Scabiosa, Marigold, Celosia . . . almost any heat/sun-loving annual should do well in your area.

The most important part of gardening is the soil. With good soil you can compensate for other shortcomings, not enough water and/or sun in most cases.

o

I'm in Utah, zone 6-7. I've had great success growing the following on the west side of my yard which has no shade and gets beat upon by the sun most of the day:

daylilly, purple sage, thyme, honeysuckle, ice plant did surprisingly well last year, portulaca is very easy, geraniums love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here