Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbipp

The New Book, 'Woody Cut Stems for Growers and Florist?'

teresa_b
15 years ago

I noticed a new book was published just about a week ago, "Woody Cut Stems for Growers and Florists: Production and Post-Harvest Handling of Branches for Flowers, Fruit, and Foliage."

I was wondering how many of you are considering a purchase or maybe have read this book already if you were a reviewer or editor? Thoughts? Comments? Praises? Criticisms?

Personally, this book is tugging at me!

Teresa

Comments (12)

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

teresa~ My local florists' are interested in cut branches, esp. of dogwoods, willows and foliage plants. Sounds like this book might be a good reference to have on hand. :)

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I succumbed to temptation and have been enjoying this book a LOT. The authors predict an increase in the demand for woodies for at least the next ten years. In addition to woodies, some vines are also covered. Many cultivars are mentioned that I have not seen discussed anywhere else.

I appreciate that for each plant he provides the following sections:

Why You Should Grow It
    Why You Shouldn't Grow It
    Species and Cultivars
    Production (some are harvested every other year)
    Harvest and Post Harvest
    Propagation
    Pests and Diseases
    Marketing
    Uses

There is a great Introduction in the first part of the book and sprinkled throughout are numerous tips and discussions from various growers. Some growers produce only one type of woody, and many growers started out as cut flower growers and transitioned into woodies for retirement (shorter harvesting period, fewer pests, etc.).

The book has over 500 pages and is a hefty tome--well worth the dollars.

Teresa

• anniew
    15 years ago

Who is the author(s)?

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are two authors: Lane Greer and John M. Dole. Ms. Greer has a PhD from N. Carolina State and has taught at Misssissippi St. University in adition to owning an acre where she raised annuals, perennials and woody shrus. She was also with ATTRA and not sure if she is still there or not.

Mr. Dole is a professor with the Dept. of Horticultural Science at N. Carolina St. University and has been an advisor to ASCFG. He also coordinates their national trial programs.

Teresa

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Teresa~Thanks for the review. I'm putting it on my wish list. :)

• annebert
    15 years ago

It is reviewed in this month's issue of Growing for Market. I usually wait until Timber Press books are remaindered and buy that at Daedalus books (I have monographs on every flower genus you can think of) but I think I'll get this one now.

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

annebert,

I think you will be glad for not waiting. I am enjoying it quite a bit and will be planting some woodies in the early Spring based upon the recommendations. I especially like the discussion of all the cultivars and varieties of each plant. Many I have never heard of. Was the review in Growing for Market a positive one?

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

I'm trying to get this from my library to see it before purchasing, but am having some problem. I also saw the review in GFM, but haven't read it yet. If the review is good, I may just go ahead and buy it, and the heck with the library!

:)
    Dee

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

diggerdee,

I am a big fan of the library; however, this book is on the thick, massive size so you may want to have it on your shelf as a reference book.

With the thick of winter and short days upon us, it has been an enjoyable read.

Teresa

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Thanks Teresa. I think I will end up buying the book, but I wanted to take a look at it first. I checked my library account on-line and saw that the library is ordering it, so I will be able to get it through there first.

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Woo-hoo! Got my copy from the library tonight. I've only thumbed through it quickly, looking at the pictures, but it looks good. I'll probably end up buying it to add to my collection. Thanks for the recommendation, Teresa!

Dee

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are welcome Dee. I was very surprised by the Dutch method of growing and harvesting lilacs--so expensive sounding, but wow, it sounds like it is worthwhile with the profits they realize.

Teresa

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?