Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Cut flowers from seed?

xmpraedicta
18 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum (I'm usually hanging around the orchid folk)!

I'm just wondering what are good cut flowers that can be grown from seed and whether anyone here had any recommendations! I'm looking towards a white - blue - purple theme, and would love something that, even after cut, would still produce more blossoms (it's great to have a nice garden as well as some bouquets for around the house)

Seeds are the best option for me, and perrenials would be even better! I usually fail with perrenial seeds though, it seems.

Thanks!

-Calvin

Comments (8)

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Hi Calvin...Glad you stopped by! OK, here is what I can think of off hand for you. Batchlors buttons in mixed colors or blue, Love In a Mist (Nigella), larkspur, Orlaya for a lacy white as well as Ammi visnaga an ammi majus for white lace umbrels. Scabiosa Fama, scabiosa mixed blues(Select Seeds)For-get-me-not (Get the kind that bloom about a foot high or taller) Buy some delphinium already growing in the spring and plant them...nothing beats delphiniums in those colors! I would also invest in some wonderful dahlias in white and purple..different shapes of them...nothing else will give you more flowers per plant!You would also enjoy the champion blue campanulas...start seed early and they will bloom the first year. They are gorgeous! Expensive seed but worth it. Purple and white zinnias, White and lavender agrostemmas (Corn cockle "ocean pearls" and "Milas Queen purple")

IT sounds so serene..hope it is a small space or you will probably find you need more color as the blues and purples receed visually. Remember that for cut flower you wil want different shapes...some spikes, some lacy umbrels, some round (Think of roses) and some lacy, misty flowers. Also, there are lovely folaige plants in blues, purples and silvery white that will make your bouquets even prettier.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful advice! I think you're right about needing a bit more color - perhaps some whites, pinks, yellows...ah I'll probably go with the whole lot! Thanks for giving me some names of some plants - it's good to have these to work with. :)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

Calvin, if you direct-seed all your plants, that would explain why your perennial seeds often fail. Most of them tend to do much better started indoors and planted out when the weather is warm enough. Some of the easier kinds to grow from seed (I start these all indoors) are yarrow in many colors (Achillea millefolium), Shasta daisies (Leucanthemum), painted daisies (Pyrethrum or Tanacetum, depending on who you're talking to), goldenrod (Solidago), feverfew (Matricaria), which is a good filler, biennial but reseeds, and foxgloves (Digitalis). Foxgloves can be annual, biennial, or perennial, but all digitalis reseed (and are highly poisonous, by the way). Campanula isn't terribly difficult; Delphinium sometimes is, but not impossible.

Some annuals:
    Snapdragons can be tricky to start but are great in bouquets. Sometimes you can find tall varieties in 4-packs or 6-packs at garden centers in spring, though. Rocket and Costa have been best for me, but there are many more that would like your climate. The taller sorts of dianthus, annual (Amazon Neon, Sweet) or biennial (many varieties), are GREAT cuts and fairly easy to start indoors. Annual statice and scabiosa are available in many colors and aren't hard to start indoors. They're great for little bright spots of color in bouquets. Many of the amaranth varieties make great cuts (the ones with decorative flowerheads/seedheads, not the kinds used for colored leaves or leaf bracts, since the leaves wilt quickly) and are easy to start indoors. Dianthus, statice, amaranths and scabiosa might do well direct-sown where you are, I don't know, I don't direct-sow much of anything here due to a short, cold summer. Only bachelor button (Centaurea cyanus) and larkspur (Consolida ajacis) perform here when direct-sown. Both have colors that fit your color scheme to a T. If you'd like some pink-toned or very pale yellow colors also (they would coordinate well with your colors), Strawberry Blonde and Bashful sunflowers are easy to grow, as are all sunflowers. They should do well direct-sown there, although I start them indoors here.

Flowerfarmer (in Michigan) can probably tell you what will work direct-seeded there, if you can get her attention.

Jeanne

• carriein
    18 years ago

Hi, I enjoy planting a variety of sunflowers, Bennary's Giant zinnias are easy from seed and spectacular. I Winter Sowed bachelor buttons, orange sulfer cosmos and Sensation cosmos, loved loved loved the sweet peas which were new for me and great in a bouquet.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Calvin,
    I second Carrie regarding Winter Sowing. Please check out that forum. Perennials can be sown after Christmas and left OUTDOORS!. The Winter Sowing FAQ provides valuable info on how to do it.

If you don't need a lot of seeds, check out the Seed Exchange and Winter Sowing exchange too. People offer seeds for SASBE. It'll cost you about $1.00 altogether to start. After the initial cost of a bubble envelope, it'll cost you less than a dollar for some wonderful seeds. Swappers are generally very generous with newbies. Too bad you are in Canada. I am offering seeds for SASBE right now. :-)

I think there is an exchange forum for Canada too.

Have fun!

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Here's a link to the Canadian exchange:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden exchange in Canada

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Here's someone you might want to contact for free seeds:

Here is a link that might be useful: A Canadian seed swapper

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone's advice, and apologize for rudely abandoning this thread. I will definitely try out winter sowing and some of your seed suggestions this year - my garden landscaping is done and ready for some flowers!

Sponsored