Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylight Neutral Sunflowers VS Regular ones?

Posted by limequilla 5 IN (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 4:38

Hi again,

I have some sunflowers I want to grow this year. One kind specifically says "daylight neutral". I vaguely know what it means in terms of greenhouse production, but this is for the garden -- if I succession sow, would I sow it last or first?

Another question along the same lines... do sunflowers normally bloom when day length is getting longer or shorter?

Thanks,
Lime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylight Neutral Sunflowers VS Regular ones?

Lime
D/L Neutral means that it will flower whatever the day length. That's why we growers love them so much. It's really your decision whether you sow it first or last although if you want flowers for fall, I'd be inclined to plant it later in your zone.
With regards to your 2nd question, IMHO it's longer, they like intense light, so the more hours of light you give em the better. I haven't been doing this as long as some of the other posters on the forum, so it'd be good, if some of them would throw in their two cents worth.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

o

According to research at the Kansas State University, most sunflower cultivars appear to be day-neutral. However, their research has found, and we conclude as well that sunflowers tend to flower faster during short days -- a difference sometimes of 7 to 21 days. We have noted during the short days at the beginning and end of the growing season that sunflowers tend to also bloom on shorter stems with smaller bloom size as well. These findings are true regardless of whether the sunflowers are grown in our greenhouse/hightunnels or in the open field.

Succession sowing every two weeks throughout the season will provide blooms for your garden enjoyment. It's always a bit trickier for us flower farmers who grow our sunflowers for market. There are so many variables, and, there are times that we find ourselves harvesting those beautiful blooms from not one, not two, but three sections. This means that we need to perhaps find more outlets for our sunflowers during this one or two week time frame. It also means that there most likely is going to be a week in which our flower farm has no sunflowers for market. Our market customers seem for the most part to understand this.

On our flower farm, we have found certain sunflower cultivars work best for us here in the Upper Midwest at the beginning and end of the season under both greenhouse and field conditions. And, we grow other types during the long days of summer.

o

Thanks for the insight -- I didn't know any of this!

My bright idea is to grow little shortie sunflowers in pots. Maybe 5 or 6 seeds to a pot.

Lime

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here