Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rita2004

where is everyone?

rita2004
17 years ago

The message board has been awful quite the past couple of months. I hope everyone was so busy selling flowers and making alot of money that no one has had time to post. I again am thru selling flowers to much regret and now selling my greenhouse vegetables at a farmers market that is open throughout the winter. I would very much like to have had some flowers to sell now but havn't figured out what I can grow and sell in the month of December and January. Anyone have any ideas about what could have been started in the fall that I could be selling now that would be in the holiday theme and not pointsettas. There is just too much scheduling with that crop. Next year I would like to keep going thru those months.

I want to take this time to wish everyone on the message board that posts a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.I appreciate all the valuble info that gets posted on here.

It would be nice to start a thread on what you have growing now to give everyone an idea of what should be growing and when you see what others are growing, you can figure out what you have forgotten about.

Maybe I can start it and others will chime in and we can get this year ended and the new one started on the right page.

Right now I have snaps, ranaculus, anemone, freesia, stock, lupines, delphinums, sweet peas, bells of ireland, dianthus and few seeded trays started that havn't come up yet so I won't promise you they are growing yet. I also have larkspur, queen annes lace and some sunflowers coming up that have reseeded on their own. What am I missing?

Just an update on the Arnosky's, a customer of mine at the market told me that they have their new barn up and had beautiful fall flowers yet 2 weeks ago and poinsettas and beautiful fall vegetables. She said it was quite impressive.

Growing in Texas,

rita

Comments (5)

• flowers4u
    17 years ago

Hi Rita!
    Funny thing, I was thinking about this forum today and feeling guilty I hadn't been here in a long time! In my garden, I have snow and ice...no greenhouse, so things are dormant. I have lots of extra Christmas greens and sadly too many unsold wreaths. But, I'm going to dig into my catalog pile next week I hope and think about next year.

Your post reminds me of how very different our seasons and climates really are! I probably won't see anything except weeds or grass growing until March! Its been very cold, windy, and/or wet since the day after Halloween. I still have drumstick alliums and eremurus waiting to get in the ground, but can't get to the ground!

I wish you all the best for your holidays,
    Wendy
    Cold in Mt. Hood Oregon!

• goodscents
    17 years ago

My business runs for 6 months, from mid-April to mid-October so I have been enjoying working only one job for the past 6 weeks. I have all my seeds for next year and will begin starting some in a few weeks.

We have had very mild weather here in Michigan. There is no snow on the ground which is not surprising because we've frequently had highs in the fifties over the past couple weeks.

Thank you all for so much for your advice over the past few years. It has really helped me out.
    Kirk

• bfff_tx
    17 years ago

Still here Rita. Still need to phone you about the ASCFG conference, haven't forgotten, just been exceptionally busy. You know how it is. Talk atcha soon.
    Season's Greetings Everyone.
    Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• Noni Morrison
    17 years ago

Rita, I am right here between power outages, pacific storms and the monsoons. Still trying to get my daffodils in as a matter of fact! But when 100 foot douglas firs are flying through the air it is a bit hard to garden. However, I have found a great winter bouquet flower...the amaryllis! my partner and each bought and potted up 3 each of 7 varieties, for a total of 14 different colors and forms and they are so much fun. I hate the way they usually fall over in the pot, but for picking and arranging they are great. They seem to last about 3 weeks as cut flowers. They come in nearly every color and many types, and the bulbs can be regrown again for several years. I held mine back after they arrived for two weeks while my business partner started hers immediately. Hers are just finishing now and mine are just starting. We mix them with evergreens from our woods, flowering winter shrubs, and paperwhites we are forcing. Other things I have used with them that are spectacular are eucalytus and lunaria seed pods. We hope to run these until the forced tulips come on for Valentines day, changing the accompanying foliages from evergreens to pussy willows and forsythia and plum branches late in winter.

IT is going to be tight space under my 3 banks of life when the crates of tulips come in and I am also trying to start seeds!

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

I'm still right here, but don't check in as much as I used to. All I'm growing right now is snow and ice, since my greenhouse is seasonal and has no skin on over the winter. I'm studying seed catalogs, trying to resist the Select Seeds and Thompson & Morgan catalogs.

The only garden things I'm excited about right now are the HUGE moose prints left in the snow outside the greenhouse skeleton, yesterday, I think.

Jeanne

Sponsored