Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoriginalannebert

Queen Red Lime zinnia from Johnny's

annebert
15 years ago

I hope this new cultivar will not disappoint. The picture shows dahlia-flowered zinnia, dark pink with lime center splash. The description says the outer petals are "maroon". Anybody else getting this?

Comments (14)

• thinman
    15 years ago

I can't decide if I think it's awful or cool, but I'm going to try it next year and see for myself.

ThinMan

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

I couldn't decide if it was really ugly or really wonderful either, so I ordered some for next year too! We shall see. Kat

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

LOL! Same here - can't decide if I like it or not. But then again, sometimes having something different sells, whether I like it or not, so...

:)
    Dee

• ekgrows
    15 years ago

I like it a lot! I would buy it, but would my boss would kill me for spending even more money on seeds :)

• thinman
    15 years ago

I got my Johnny's order today and the Queen Red Lime Zinnia is back-ordered, so quite a few growers must have thought it looked promising. I guess I will have to wait and see if they can come up with any more for me. Or you?

ThinMan

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

Don't despair. The Queen Red Lime Zinnia is only on back order from Johnny's until March 9. Here in Michigan, we won't be planting them in the field until mid May.

Least case scenario is that since you are a grower, they should be available to you from another source as well.

Tomorrow. The sun will come up tomorrow.

Trish

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

I guess we are all in the same boat. I have a slight suspicion that there might be a crop failure, we shall see. Has anyone noticed any other new/different zinnias on the market this year? TKS. Kat

• thinman
    15 years ago

Trish - Your cryptic message got me re-looking through the Raker, Gro 'N' Sell, etc. listings, but I didn't spot this zinnia there anywhere. Your last line even got me looking at Annie's Annuals online. :-)

Guess I'll just wait and see what happens. It won't wreck my season if I don't get the Queen Red Lime.

ThinMan

• heidi41
    15 years ago

I received by order of Queen Red Lime zinnias today... I personally think they will make a stunning bouquet.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Anybody have any thoughts as to what you will be mixing them with in bouquets?

I got an e-mail from Johnny's yesterday, so I think I should be getting my seed any day now.

Dee

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

I got my seeds too. As to what to mix them with, I will have to wait and see what the flower actually looks like. Maybe some Bells of Ireland, green or red millet, amaranths, I dont know, I'm having trouble imagining it. Kat

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Kat, great minds think alike, lol! I was also thinking Bells of Ireland, and I am trying a new amaranthus this year, Green Thumb, that I was considering. I think like you I will need to see this zinnia first. The lime green I can picture - that red color I need to see in person, because I'm having trouble imagining exactly what it will be.

Dee

• kaycomp_hotmail_co_uk
    15 years ago

Desperate to get hold of some of these (if only a pinch!)
    Just phoned Johnny's from UK, to be told that they are out of stock.
    These are TOTALLY unlike anything in Britain.
    Anyone got a dozen seeds or so that they can sell me. Would love to wow my friends with something so unusual
    Kayoo

• lizzy203
    15 years ago

I am crazy for zinnias and would also love to try growing even a plant or two to see how they do, In case anyone is interested in selling a pinch of seeds.....If not would love to hear/see photos of how these grow. This is my first discovery of this forum. Seems full of info!

Sponsored