Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeankeeter

Where do you buy your seeds?

jeankeeter
14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Well the gardening catalogs have really started to roll in. I'd love to hear where you purchase your cutting garden seeds from! Price is my key consideration, with quality being the second factor in my decision.

Happy New Years!

Jeannie

Comments (11)

• tommyk
    14 years ago

Fedco (lots of seed at low price)
    Pinetree (very inexpensive)
    Thompson & Morgan (pricey)
    Baker Creek (open pollinated at good price)
    Territorial (pricey)
    Johnnys (good selection but pricey)
    Geo Seeds (a subsidary of Parks--huge selection, pricey but with lots of seeds that will last several seasons)

Don't overlook those "budget" seed pkgs. at local stores . . . good deals and selection.

• bfff_tx
    14 years ago

tommyk
    FYI - Geo Seed is not a subsidary of Park's. They are two entirely different companies, operated by different people who happen to be related to George W. Park and William J. Park.

Jeannie - 90% of the seed I buy comes from Geo.

Happy New Year Y'all
    Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• thinman
    14 years ago

I'm a big fan of Johnny's Seeds for their helpful growing information and try to buy at least some stuff from them each year. I can't ignore the lower prices and bigger selection at GeoSeed though, and get almost all of my flower seeds from them. I've been happy with their seeds.

ThinMan

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I use:

Johnny's
    Pinetree
    Territorial
    Thompson & Morgan (pricey)
    Swallowtail
    Select Seed (kinda pricey)
    Seeds of Change
    Park Seed
    ValueSeed (part of T&M at much lower prices)

Dee

• pitt
    14 years ago

This year I am ordering from:

Geoseed
    Johnny's

We have ordered from Geo for the past 2 years and have been pleased with quality and price. pitt from Indiana

• jeankeeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Looks like GeoSeeds is the best one, but unfortunately I am not a professional grower (YET!) so I guess I will have to wait. Looking over the other catalogs now. Thank you so much for your input!!

• tommyk
    14 years ago

Oops! about the Geo Seed/Park Connection . . .however they are sorta related.

We discovered Geo Seed about 3 years ago and have been extremely happy with them . . . great selection, great prices for the amount of seeds, and customer service. The only problem with them is you can't order on-line, you have to call in with the order. However, customer service is very knowledable and I have never had a problem with them.

JeenKeeter: You don't have to be a professional grower to order from them. You can order as much or as little as you want!

• tommyk
    14 years ago

Apparently Valueseeds.com is no longer in business. Their webpage states: "Seed from Valueseeds.com is no longer available, but you will find some great bargains in the new Thompson & Morgan Sale."

T&M has a great selection but is pricey . . . I wish I had known about Valueseed sooner. Oh well, I think GEO seed is one of the best seed companies out there and will be calling in our order soon, in addition to the other companies we do busienss with!

• neil_allen
    14 years ago

I'd like to put in a word for Stokes. Their prices are reasonable and they're one of the few places where you can get single-color packets of things like strawflowers and statice, rather than mixes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stokes Seeds

• tommyk
    14 years ago

I like Stokes . . . I've bought flower seeds from them. Good selection & prices. However, I do not buy vegetable seeds from them. Most of them are treated.

A couple other great seed companies that deal in Italian and/or European seeds are Gourmet Seeds & Seeds of Italy. Mostly veggies & herbs, some flowers, and garden stuff. They have stuff you can't find in the US and have huge seed packs. I have bought seeds from them in the past and they are excellent companies to deal with. The seeds packs are beautiful, made out of durable foil-type material and give great descriptions/instructions. Highly recommended!

• annebert
    14 years ago

And GeoSeed now has an online catalog! I was talking to my sister on the phone last night and she asked me where I bought seeds. I was just starting to tell her that you had to request a hard copy catalog and she was already at the site looking through the catalog! So we spent about 20 minutes browsing it together. Welcome to the 21st century...

And yes, Jean you do not need to be a "professional" to order from them.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!