Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone seen Cut Flowers of the World (book) yet?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 12:43

I just found a book called Cut Flowers of the World: A Complete Reference for Growers and Florists by Ben-Erik van Wyk and Johannes Maree. It looks like it might be a pretty good book. Has anyone seen it yet?

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone seen Cut Flowers of the World (book) yet?

I just looked it up on Amazon, thinking I might be able to take a look inside. Not for this book. Still it sounds promising and the price isn't bad. Why don't you buy it Steve, and give us a review? :-)

I wonder if it's too late to put it on my Amazon wish list for Christmas.

ThinMan

o

I generally avoid buying books sight unseen. Glowing publisher comments are not always to be trusted and since it's a new book there are unfortunately no comments from other buyers yet either. :( Perhaps I can find it at a bookstore and leaf through before buying... :)

- Steve

o

Steve, try your local library. I just took a quick look. My library doesn't have it, and actually, it only shows it listed at one library in the state(!) but it might be worth a shot to try yours. That's a good way to decide whether you want to purchase it yourself.

Let us know!
Dee

o

Well I actually requested that my library buy it and now I have a copy in hand that they purchased at my request. :) It's a well done book and covers a wide range of flowers but for me it doesn't go into enough depth. Specialty Cut Flowers by Armitage and Laushman is much more useful for me as a grower. I think that Cut Flowers of the World would be most useful to florists or individuals who are mostly interested in floral arranging rather than floriculture. I've included a link to a photo of two facing pages so that others can see a typical example of the format of this book. There are about 40 pages on care and handling of cut flowers (only 6 pages on cultivation and harvest) and then 329 encyclopedic pages in the format shown in my photo. It is nice to have good quality photo examples of the flowers but as a grower I also need in depth species specific information on production and harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cut Flowers of the World Example Pages

o

Thanks a lot for the follow-up, Steve. It sounds like a pretty book, and maybe a good reference, but like you, I guess I'll just stick with my Armitage.

TM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here