Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone use a Hatfield transplanter?

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 19:23

I just got one of these for Christmas, and I'm hoping to save some wear and tear on my back and legs by using it this season. It has to be better than putting in each plant bending over with a trowel. I'm sure that many of you have big enough operations to warrant having a tractor mounted or towed transplanter, but I put in only about 2000 transplants each year, so those would be overkill for little old me.

I got the biggest one available, which is 2 inches by 2 inches at the business end, figuring it would work for my starts, which are usually in 72 cell trays, but sometimes 36. I'm a little worried that maybe I should have got a smaller version, and I can return it if that's the case, but I probably won't know for sure until I start using it.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these, or tips on how to use it? I have seen two videos on using it with a second person, but I'm planning on doing it with just me.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great, but I will get back to you all next spring when I find out how it goes.

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone use a Hatfield transplanter?

thinman
I have the medium size Hatfield and really like it.
Especially for planting thru plastic. Instead of trying to
close the hole by hand or by stepping , I use a cupful of
potting mix poured around the plant. I do , however, use 2
people on the planter and me and my old back pouring the
potting mix.....almost any brand will work if it contains
no large pieces.
I use 516 jiffystrips peat pots ....not sure of the size.

Bud

o

Thanks, Bud. I'm glad to hear that the Hatfield is working for you. Adding the potting mix to each plant sounds like a bit of extra work, but you must feel like it's worth it, huh?.

I appreciate your reply.

ThinMan

o

T Man
Definitely worth the cost and effort. I apply the mix with
a 2" pvc pipe/funnel to eliminate bending over.
Bud

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here