Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbipp

Favorite 'Grass' Seedhead for Bouquets?

teresa_b
15 years ago

Hello All,

With the long holiday, I am having plenty of time to think about my seeds and plants for 2009. I am hoping to find a green-greenish seedhead from a grass, sedge, millet, etc. for my bouquets to add some vertical green interest. I found the lime spray millet; however, it looks droopy to me and was not the form in which I was really interested.

I also like the look of quaking grass although it is not exactly what I was looking for, but it looks like it could be very pretty in late summer arrangements. I am assuming it works in cut flower bouquets.

So, what are your favorite grass seedheads or other types of seedheads that have worked for you?

As always, thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts and ideas.

Teresa

Comments (10)

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

If you like quaking grass, then I'll bet you'll love Chasmanthium latifolium (Northern Sea Oats). Beautiful dangly seed heads on this perennial grass - I wish it was hardy for me :(

I have a stand of Phleum pratense (Timothy grass) that I'll often use in bouquets. It's a lowly pasture grass (perennial) but I like it for the narrow, stiff 3-4" soft green seed heads. Also excellent for dried use. It has the potential to become a nightmare in the garden if all the seedheads are not nipped off before the seed ripens.

There's a new Panicum, P. elegans 'Frosted Explosion' that I'm looking forward to growing this year. This has minimum 84 days to bloom, so I'll be starting it in April/greenhouse plugs so that hopefully it will be useful for me beginning in July and into August.

Here is a link that might be useful: frosted explosion

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Well, let me start by saying I really have no experience with grasses. However, last year I tried Eleusine Green Cat, and it was... different. I still can't decide if I personally like it, but it did catch the eye, that's for sure. Lots of people stopping to ask what it was. The main drawback, IMO, was that it wasn't that tall - maybe 20 inches. But, I just thought I'd throw it out there as a thought, especially since you are looking for green.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleusine Green Cat

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Pudge and Diggerdee, for your recommendations. I like the quaking grass so will probably give that a shot. The Eleusine Green Cat is one weird grass! That is on the maybe list; however, I like that green color, which is not easy to come by.

Teresa

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Teresa~Many grasses have greenish seedheads depending on time of harvest. If you want one that looks like wheat, try Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'. Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' has soft, bottle-brush spikes with a reddish tint. Foxtail grass is a perennial "weed" that I like to use.

All grasses have sharp edges, so be careful! Wear gloves when harvesting them for your arrangements. :)

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I mis-spoke, I don't use foxtail grass, which is an annual weed anyway. The grass I use is the fountain grass 'Hameln', which looks similar.

Have you tried Celosia 'Sylphid'? That looks very interesting to me.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Gee, Teresa, I got really excited yesterday while browsing through my new Seeds of Change catalog, because I saw a grass and thought of you. It is Foxtail White Wonder Millet, and it looked almost completely green in the catalog. However, upon doing a bit more research before posting here, it seems that for some reason it's just that the photo in the catalog is just not true to color. The heads are actually much redder. The difference between the catalog photo and internet photos is night and day. Oh well. (Gee, makes me wonder how true-to-form all the other photos in the catalog are... or aren't!) But you never know. Maybe you'll like it anyway? It says it does well in bouquets...

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: White Wonder Millet

• goodscents
    15 years ago

I have grown the Limelight millet and if you cut it early it is upright rather than droopy. The color is great but I found it very hard to work with if I cut it after it started to droop over.

I really like 'Tapestry' millet. I think I got it from Germania. It is upright and has an interesting shape, but the color is a mix of dark greens and browns.
    Kirk

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for keeping me in mind and responding. I have enjoyed following up on all the suggestions. I really like the celosia, "Sylphid." That is on my must try list for 2009. That is one cool greenish plant. I have never worked with millet so may give that a try. Nice to have two choices.

Teresa

• thinman
    15 years ago

I tried the celosia Sylphid last summer but did a poor job of starting it. The plants were pretty rootbound by the time I got them in the field, and were stunted most of the summer. They were also a lot yellower than I expected, but that may have been my fault. I'll definitely be growing them again this year, though they will be started four weeks later than in 2008.

I agree with Kirk about cutting the Limelight millet early while it's still pretty vertical, and I second his liking for the Tapestry millet.

ThinMan

• crowspice
    15 years ago

Teresa,

I have grown most of the grasses that others have recommended here, but my hands-down favorite is the Northern Sea Oats!
    It will be an easy-care perennial for you. It is a winner in all of its stages, from early summer right through to frost - a very long run! It holds up very well in the vase, and it adds a beautiful textural "movement" in bouquets. You will LOVE it!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions