Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hvander_gw

Pinching Euphorbia Marginata (Snow-on-the-Mountain)?

hvander
18 years ago

Does anyone have experience growing Snow-on-the-Mountain for mixed bouquets? Does it require pinching in the early stages?

Comments (14)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I don't pinch mine. The stems are long and sturdy.

I hate the white sap, though - on any flower/plant that I cut. I cannot seem to stem the flow. I've used a bucket of hot water - not practical. A candle does not work for me either. I just about gave up singeing the stems and use the plants/flowers unsinged. How do you folks handle this?

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

I don't pinch mine either. I usually cut them into their own bucket w/floral preservative in it. Then, when I'm arranging, I make sure I put that in first and let it settle, then add the rest of the flowers. Mine usually takes all summer to grow, but works great with annual asters and lisianthus!

Wendy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

What is the vase life on this? Does the sap shorten the vase life? I saw it in a simple bouquet with kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate and it was just stunning.

:)
    Dee

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

E. marginata has a very long vase life. It is very pretty with just about anything. I really don't know if the sap shortens other flowers' vase life or not. I have been trying to improve vase life of all my arrangements. :-)

I wish I had collected all the E. marginata seeds. A lot of people have been asking for them since I posted a few photos on my member page.

Dee, if you can wait, I'll send you some seeds next summer. That's the 2nd thing I've promised you. LOL. And the first has not been fulfilled yet. :-)

• hvander
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tips and the warning! If pinching is not required, how many stems can you get from a single plant?

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Depending on how big they are and how long you want the stems.
    They branch out at different height, the higher up, the shorter the stems. If you plant them thickly, they don't branch out as much. So if you want multiple branch plants, they should be spaced at least 2 1/2 ft apart. Fully grown, they are at least 3 1/2 - 4' tall. .... unless other growers have different experience with this pretty plant.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Just as with zinnias, the first cutting is going to be below the first set of lateral branches. This is essentually "pinching." And, it is also going to force the plant to branch and produce nice long stems. In the field, we would space euphorbia marginata 12" apart. It's also one that we would do successive sowings two weeks apart.

This is going to be our eight season selling cutflowers at market. We've never made a habit of counting stems.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Thank you pitimpinai! How kind of you!

And thanks for that info, flowerfarmer. That's good to know. Do you tell your customers about this issue, or do you do anything in particular with these cuttings at the point of sale? Just curious as to this is an important enough thing to have to make customers aware.

:)
    Dee

• MOmelanuk
    18 years ago

I had been looking for a place to obtain Euphorbia Marginata for a couple of years. First saw it at the Chicago Botanical Garden.

Anyway, today, I found J L Hudson Seeds http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/ and ordered some. The seeds were dirt cheap (pun intended) so I thought I'd share the URL.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: J L Hudson Seeds

• Irish_Eyes_z5
    18 years ago

How many seeds in a packet for $2?

• hvander
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Johnny's Selected Seeds also sells this variety. They charge $1.95 for 50 seeds.

• goodscents
    18 years ago

There's a comment in Armitage's book from a grower with a story very like Flowerfarmer's. He nearly went blind and that was the last time he grew euphorbia. I read that and decided I would never grow it, and Flowererfarmer's story just reinforces that decision.
    Kirk

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Exactly, Kirk. There are so many other nice fillers to use. I'm guessing the green/white isn't the color this season anyway.

If you do decide to grow this plant and sell it in bouquets at market, you will be assuming much liability.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor