Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Playing with dahlias

Posted by lizalily 8b PNW USA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 18:22

I decided to dig one clump yesterday to see how the tubers in the ground did this very mild winter. I dug up Hillcrest Kismet and found beautiful mess of tubers growing healthily! Divided it up, 14 tubers in one year! Wowsers, I am rich in beautiful dahlias! And that is only one of the 160 I have! Will definitely be dividing and selling at my roadside stand this year (Sorry, I don't like mailing packages).

I am having pretty bad arthritis issues in my neck so won't do more then one a day, but think I will go dig another now before the sun leaves the bed! And this year I WILL keep them labeled properly! Every year they seem to jump out of the pots and go dancing in the greenhouse!

Spent hours last night trying to make a catalog of my collection with the photos I took last year. Haven't quite figures out the technology of doing it on a mac but I'm working on it, so I can show my customers what they might be able to obtain. Quite a learning experience. I've been matching up my photos with the ones on Swan Island and other places I buy from so I am pretty sure about most of them now. Chaos happened last year when the chickens scratched out all my carefully places labels. Am hoping to find one stamped tuber with the ID in all recently purchased clumps!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Playing with dahlias

Hi Liza

How do all of your 'offspring' have eyes?

When I dig up tubers and find clumps of anywhere from 6-14 tubers, many are just 'suckers' that hang off the main tuber and have no 'heads or eyes'.

Am I throwing out good tubers? I have sometimes laid them aside or partially planted them in soil to see if an eye develops and they never do. I always thought they were just 'hangers-on'.

David

o
RE: Playing with dahlias

lizalily, I am praying there won't be frost yet here in CO. Dahlias very late. Full of buds now .
Question. Would I be better off using plants for quick results in season or do dahlias rule over plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here