Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellows, Peaches, and Oranges

Posted by poochella 7/ WEST WA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 1:28

Two so far: I get so impatient this far into the summer, but the dahlia show really does begin in August out here in WA.
French Doll, a most favorite trade with another dahlia fan: early, excellent color, and nice cutting size at 3-4 inches. My flowers vary by which bed/sun exposure they're in, so this French Doll is more orange than 07's. Still a great early bloomer and a good keeper.

And Chimacum Topaz is in full swing again this year 14 years and still a favorite. From 07 but looking very similar now...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellows, Peaches, and Oranges

I've always loved your pics of Chimacum Topaz. Always such perfect form.

o

Thanks Linht. Chimacum Topaz is nearly foolproof.

Kenora Canada is getting a second chance this year. It's a nice vivid yellow but otherwise I'm having a hard time finding anything special about it. Liked Clearview Irene better in the medium large yellow category.

o

Despite our very wintry weather, Happy Face is blooming. Nice vivid yellow, very close to Kenora Canada.

o

They are all very lovely yellows!

o

That is such a lousy photo for a lovely little dahlia like French Doll. It is kicking out flowers like a machine and looks much better than above.

Vista Lindsay is opening. Should be a nice full LC with a little sun due later today.

o

Chimacum Topaz has something that makes want it in my garden.

o

French Doll's a great photo. I think you had this one last year too. Lookin' good!

o

Chimacum Topaz is a most durable dahlia viking, and pretty besides.

Vista Lindsay has just got lovelier. Hope the tubers keep.

o

Looks like Vista Lindsay has the split petal like my Mingus Bruce. However, M. Bruce seems to open up kind of "messy". I'm liking V. Lindsay better, may have to give this one a try next year if the bugs have mercy on me the rest of the season.

o

Hi Poochella
What does your mature French Doll look like? I have a misnamed dahlia from last yr that is similar but ends up more pale creamy yellow as it opens and the peach color fades away. It has the same yellow/peachy orange streaking as its opening
alyricss

o

Hi A,
French Doll consistently looks like the 8/22 photo and is a super bloomer. (The first photo had already been in bloom for many days and was actually on its way out.)

So, it starts out lt. yellow with pink dusted tips that open and blend to pale peach/pink petals with a bit of yellow in their core.

o

Pam Howden blooms so much I'm almost tired of it. Great blend of colors.
Photobucket Image Hosting

o

I will definitely try Pam Howden again. It did not come up.

o

Lovely Pam, Poochella. This one always seem to vary in color. I think Dahliaboy had a photo of his last year. I vaguely remember it being a lot more dark pink, almost like Kenora Wow.

o

Beautiful flowers, you guys take such awesome pictures!
Thanks for the tip on good "keepers" Poochella!
-B

o

poochella: i'm struck by how much pam howden looks like wildwood marie...is pam howden large?

loving french doll....will try that one!

o

Hi Dahli22,
Pam Howden and Wildwood Marie are waterlily forms, both about 5-6" across, but WWMarie is very much pinker than Pam Howden's orange with purple undersides. Both lovely!

You can see the lavender underpetals of Pam Howden here, as it was closing up for the summer evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here