Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dahlia photos and other garden shots

Posted by dahli22 99801 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 12:43

I posted a bunch of dahlia photos here

http://picasaweb.google.com/dahlidog/KathyAndBradSGardenInJuneauAlaska#

Some are general shots of our garden in Juneau, Alaska, but there are a number of dahlia shots. If anyone can identify any of the mystery dahlias, I'd love to hear from you (especially the salmon-colored one that looks like it's trailing flames).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dahlia photos and other garden shots

The land of the midnight sun is serving you well! Beautiful setting, yard, garden, man and beast! The bird is pretty cool too.

Number 48 lav/purple/white might be Seduction.

What's the red astilbe in #53?

#55 might be Fidaldo Julie or Crazy Legs. Eldon Wilson is another stellar, I think in those colors.

#60 pink waterlily might be Wildwood Marie?

If #61 is a more open version of #48, I retract my guess of Seduction.

what's your lt pink astilbe in #64? m Ditto #67. LOL I love astilbe!

# 70 awesome closeup.

Thanks for sharing the wonders of your far north yard!

o

What a beautiful garden and wonderful spot you live. It all looks just perfect.

I don't know the name of any of the Dahlias but the varigated hosta is either Patriot or Minuitman. One tip, hosta wise, if you are ever inclined to move Sum and Substance for some reason - don't. I just found out this year that it hates to be moved or divided. That would explain why my once huge plant is now a shadow of it's former self.

How long is your summer there? Maybe a better question would be how long is your winter?!! McTavish

o

poochella: thanks for the comments and for the fabulous photos you've posted on this site -- they have really inspired me!

The red astilbe in #53 is "fanal".

The pink astilbe in #64 is "pink lightning".

The fabulous purple one is "chinensis visions". You can't really tell from the photos but this plant has big fat flower stems...makes it look more interesting pre-bloom.

o

McTavish: thanks for the tip on sum and substance -- i was thinking about moving one!

I think you are right about the hosta -- my husband thinks it's Patriot, too.

Daylight-wise, in summer the sun sets at about 10 pm.

Season-wise, it depends on the year, but generally, you can put out annuals in mid May, and we stop gardening in September. Some years we get a lot of rain. Last year was wet and cold and most of us felt like we didn't get a summer.

This year has been incredible. Weather in the 80s and dry. Very unusual for Juneau.

I don't think I would get many dahlias in Juneau if I didn't start them early (April 1) in my greenhouse.

o

That is surprising - we are not that much different here in south,central BC. Our zone is listed as 6 but I'm sure it's a 4/5 based on those plants I can't grow. At the end of June the sun goes down slightly before 10. We live on a hill higher than most of the town looking west so for most Salmon Arm people it's probably more like 9:30. We also put annuals out safely in May though push it a bit with pansies and primulas in April. Last year was also a very cold summer compared to normal but this year has been great, very hot (90-100), not so good for the forest fires. September is usually very nice and on into October although in the past we have had snow as early as mid Oct. and have it never go away until March (dreadful!). I see by the map that Juneau is much lower down than the rest of Alaska, probably more like northern BC.

o

The thing that stops gardening here earlier is the rain...in fall it gets cold and rainy. The smoke from those fires made its way to Juneau last week. It looked like we had L.A. smog.

o

That's a nightmare! Did you ever live in L.A.? I know you said you got your bird there. I grew up in North Hollywood and then lived in Orange County unti I married.

o

I grew up in San Pedro, north of Orange County. The air quality was ok there because it's on the water, but I went to college in the San Fernando Valley. cough.

o

Our DD just graduated from college in OC and studied in Beijing for a semester. Talk about cough. I don't think she saw the sun break through in Beijing the entire time- just haze and brown glow of the new day. Fascinating place though.

How far from the recent BC fires were you Mactavish? Nasty things and the only thing I dread about a dry summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here