Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia's not like the package...????

Posted by honnat (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 0:13

I've started growing dahlias this year; and I think I'm going to be hooked. After having my first year done; I have tons of questions; but one that I can't seem to figure out. I purchased these from a local nursery as packaged tuber clumps. They are not really looking like they are supposed to. Is this due to my soil, how I'm pinching them?......

"Isadora" -It is supposed to have red tips.
Photobucket

"Otto's Thrill"(front)- supposed to be a "dinner plate" dahlia; but none of the blooms have been large. Also they are not the same color as I've seen in other photos.
Photobucket

"Black Wizard" - I just like the photo...next to "Snow Country". Both of these have been great true bloomers.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia's not like the package...????

Even though they aren't what you expected, they are still nice dahlias honnat. Maybe Isadora isn't the real Isadora, or you have less sun than needed? Your soil and pinching should have nothing to do with the solid yellow versus yellow with red tips.

On Otto's Thrill: how big are you blooms and are you disbudding to allow only the main central bud to develop into a flower? That will help in size, if it's the right tuber in the first place. My Otto's Thrill were reliably 8+inches across right through the season.

o

Thanks for the response. I do have them in a very sunny spot facing south. They get at lease 8 hours per day during mid summer. I think the Isadora is just not a true Isadora. As for the Otto's Thrill, I am disbudding the side buds on each branch; but there are tons of branches so I may be missing a couple. My biggest blooms on the it is about 5 inches...and it doesn't seem like the true color (a little darker than the photos I've seen).
Anyway, I am still happy with my first year of dahlias and will probably try to store the tubers for the "false isadora" because it really is my favorite of the bunch.

o

By all means, save them! Doesn't sound like Otto's Thrill from the size then, nor Isadora with that much sun. Sometimes happy mistakes are found in the dahlia bed though.

o

I'm not sure what your "NOT Isadora" is, but it looks just like my "NOT Kelvin Floodlight" that I picked up in a package at Walmart earlier this year.

Photobucket

o

That's funny, it does look like the same dahlia. I didn't get mine from Wal-Mart; I think it was through a web order and was a "netherland bulb company" package. That same brand was what I got at the nursery. Anyway, I'm going to avoid that brand next year. I've got a small yard to grow dahlias; so I'd like to get what I expect.

o

Me too! When you're expecting one color and something else grows, it's very frustrating. I got Not Purple Gem and Not Lilac Time from, Not Hamari Gold from Dutch operations too. NO more big box purchases for me, it's just too iffy not only with misidentified tubers, but poor quality in many instances too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here