Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia lifting

Posted by woody_gardner 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 11:22

We have been reviewing the past posts on lifting dahlias and appreciate all the great advice. We have just lifted our first and while we understand we need to remove the stringy roots we are not clear on the "eyes", especially on our tuber in this picture.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Image link: Dahlia lifting (22 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia lifting

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 17:57

Check out Poochella's posting.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg1003111025242.html?30

Here is a link that might be useful: Poochella's posting about eyes.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 18:04

I thought I added this yesterday, but must have forgotten to add it.

o

Woodygardener, I took the liberty of saving your photo and marking it up too. I agree wholeheartedly with Jroot on his markings. Most people don't save the 'old (mother) tubers' from the past season, unless desperate to save the variety.

I think I see a couple obvious eyes: the largest on tuber 1, and the darkest point on the photo above it on the stem, which has no tuber yet, but, if left to grow, would likely spawn one. Doesn't do you any good now, but if it had a tuber with an eye, it would be salvagable and they grow just like other tubers, the next year. I'll post a shot of stem tubers below, but here is what I can see from the photo posted. Some really close up shots of questionable eyes/tubers would be easier to see or at least fathom a guess. If in doubt, save the clump whole after trimming, or hack it into approximate halves or quarters and remove 'junk' before storing. Then mother nature will help you divide in spring.

Your clump:

Green lines are where I'd cut/trim.

an example of stem tubers seen 1-2-3 high up above the main clump/tubers below. Bet you can see obvious eyes on tuber number 4, right of the stem tubers.

o

Many thanks to you both jroot & poochella. Your picture markups are greatly appreciated!! We will do our best to follow you tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here