Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identity..!!

I thought it was an active forum.. :(

o

• Posted by annabeth Zone 8 No Cal inland (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 22, 09 at 2:55

It is an active forum especially during Dahlia season but I think folks are busy with preparations for Christmas right now. Give them some time after the new year. Folks get tired of winter and start looking to the forums for photos to lift them out of the cold dreariness. They also start contemplating their spring tuber order. I think folks will respond a little later on.

Also, your photo is so small that it is hard to tell the details of your bloom. Is there any way to enlarge your photo?

Good luck!

o

hey thanks so much for the reply, I am sorry for posting quiet a small pic, i'll definitely try to post a better one shortly.

Cheers~

Izhar

o

Hi Izhar and Annabeth,
The holidays definitely do encroach on dahlia talk- time to hibernate for a week or two!

Izhar, a bigger photo would really help, along with a guess as to form of the flower. But you did two things that were helpful: described the size of flower and the height of the plant, though those can vary some.

If you can study the dahlia classification guide's size, form, color of the plant you can then use Google or another search engine to get some ideas for further research. Just type in B (6-8 inch bloom, or possibly A for 8-10 inch,) ID or FD for form (hard to tell from the small photo) BI for Bi-colored and R/W if it is indeed red and white.

Typing Dahlia B ID BI R/W in a search box will turn up many links to research further. Not many have photos, but with a name, you have a place to start further searching. Below is one page of the ADS website to check out Bi-colored dahlias.

Where did you get the dahlia? If from Europe, then check out the link in the next post as well and search for Bi-couloured in the search box.

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS Classification for some bicolored dahlias

o
RE: Identity.. English Search

Here you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: UK National Dahlia Collection

o

Hey thanks for replying :)... well in Pakistan we do'nt get dahlias by name or classification.... they just called "Baray Phool wala Dahlia" in our language meaning "Big Flowered Dahlia" lol... and another thing is that in our region Dahlia blooms in winters i.e from December till March but remains green and growing throughout the year... tuber saving is quiet difficult as we have to do it in summers and no matter how well you care for them, they will get sprouts by June (even in refrigerators..lol)... and we have to plant them early along with summer flowers... the varieties are few and prices are high as compared to other plants...

dahlia

two dahlias

o

Poochella I checked the links... but was unable to match ..:(

o

Sometimes a sure name and identification are just impossible. Google 'Duet' for images and see if you think that might be it. Color varies, but it looks close and the height is right according to some websites.

o

o

It was a "HOLLAND FESTIVAL"..... :)

o

I'm curious how you came to that conclusion. Your bloom looks very red while all the photos I see of Holland Festival and the descriptions say it's orange/white. Tips look different too. Just curious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland Festival, one view

o

I was also told that the "white tip" portion varies with temperature.

The Duets seem to me, a bit smaller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland Festival, another view

o
Holland Festival

It feels good to see the replies...:)

Check this out too....

Here is a link that might be useful: Holland Festival, with relatively less White tip portion

o

I would ask Plantlady in the Discussions section. She is a dahlia judge and knows her dahlia forms and definitions.

Aside from the red versus orange color; less white, versus more white tips, it was the way the links showing Holland Festival's petals tend to twist which I don't quite see in your red/white bloom, unless it opened up further as it aged, and the petals twisted a bit.

It's a beautiful flower and I'm about ready to add Holland Festival to the "get list" by now. Enjoy it, regardless of its identity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here