Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Pink Floyd' and 'Le Baron'

Posted by misslucinda 6a - New York (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 6:27

Based upon a friends urging that I order early, I made a number of hasty purchases which don't go with my color scheme. I've also checked my tubers and have found that I have about a gazillion "Babylon Bronze" tubers - a most beautiful, prolific Melon-colored dinnerplate formal decorative.

Anyone thee have extra Floyds and Barons which they would swap for BBronze? Poochella....?

ML

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Pink Floyd' and 'Le Baron'

No but my birthday is the 9 of December.

o

HAHA! Good one Viking!!

I ordered the dahlias that 'blew my hair back' (as in: whatever blows your hair back) but they don't really go together. I am in a community plot so hopefully I don't make my fellow gardeners nauseous by the color clash.
I have Wheels coming and Honka and a big white one and Pennsgift (Always wanted to grow a great big 'un). Lavender pink does NOT go next to the bright reds and yellow of the other two. I am growing cutting flowers so I will have to space the dahlias far apart and put in some annuals to help the color transition along, if that is possible.

o

Dahlias never clash- I've done lots of bouquets with oranges, pinks, reds etc all in together & they all look great. Was at a wedding this year where the bride chose orange, red & purple & they all went together very well. If your fellow gardeners complain just tell them they're behind times & you're on the cutting edge of the newest fashions in color!!

o

I agree. Dahlias never clash. I am doing hot, hot, hot colors this year. I was always a pink person before so people will be surprised. Can't wait and hope I don't have white fly this year!

o

Hi ML, Let me have a look ...I think I grew le Baron last year (I don't dig my tubers up) I will do some digging and see if there is anything there...occasionally I loose one here or there! If you can wait a little bit till its not to frosty....by the way I am in Canada ...How are they about shipping to the U.S. (which is where I gather you are)
Jan

o

Hi Jan--

Sure, no one ships until March and that's only with special insulating wrapping--I think the norm is April. Please stay in touch after you go through your babys. My Babylon Bronze's are really a great cutting flower, a prolific grower and over-winters well (which is why I have so many!). Not aware of any problem in shipping from Canada to New York.

BTW I agree that it's hard to find a dahlia bouquet combination which clashes despite colors which leap and spin round the color wheel. However, I obstinately keep putting many of my dahlias in a long mixed border which runs in front of the house and main entrance and color consistency there matters to me--at least.

ML

o

ML Sounds great! If there is one there in March-April you can have it! And yes I would LOVE to try your babylon bronze since I only grow them for cutting (and my own enjoyment of course) If there are any other varieties you are looking for let me know!
Jan

o

You have to get an agri. inspection & a Phytosanitory Certificate to ship from Canada to the US & the other way,too. Otherwise they'll just confiscate the pkg at the border & destroy it.

o

Miss Lucinda, Sorry, I only got two tubers off Le Baron and need to keep them. Keep up the search though, it's worth it!

o

Well, thanks for the info dahliagardener. Rats.

ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here