Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angevine_sj

Growing your own wedding flowers

Angevine
10 years ago

Hello!
I'm getting married this summer, August 16th, and would like to grow some of the flowers for my wedding. The problem is that I'm currently working in France and won't be back stateside until the end of May. Is late May too late to plant dahlia tubers? If not, any tips about planting and care or varieties? My location is a very sunny south facing bed in front of the house, and my area tends to have summers that are quite hot and humid. Missouri's suffered from droughts for the past few years.
I'm interested in ordering from Swan Island, and perhaps Wooden Shoe Bulb Farm as well, but am interested in suggestions about good sources.
The varieties I'm currently considering are:
Juanita
Otto's Thrill (anything smaller and more floriferous with a similar form and color?)
Caf� Au Lait and/or Sheer Heaven
Fleur, Silver City or White Perfection
Nepos
Touché or Lindy (or another apricot/peach/orangey pink B sized dahlia)
If you've grown any of these, what was your experience with them? Any suggestions of better performing varieties?
Do antique dahlia cultivars tend to be more or less disease resistant and heat tolerant than the modern varieties?
Also, how many tubers do you recommend ordering of a given cultivar if I'd like to have a good shot at having 8-12 flowers on hand for the wedding?
Thanks!

This post was edited by Angevine on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 15:49

Comments (4)