Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Hirt's Bulbmart on eBay?

Posted by crdahlia z8bWA (larryteresa@msn.com) on
Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 8:33

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Hirt's Bulbmart, who sells a lot on eBay. I believe I purchased some seeds from them last year and didn't really have any complaints. Can't remember if they germinated or not.

However, yesterday I was looking at the dahlias being offered and saw they had one that was listed as Kenora Macob. Because I am a friend of the hybridizer, and hate it when someone has a variety name wrong, I sent him an e-mail and told him the correct name was Kenora Macop B. These are the responses I received to that e-mail:
I said:

"The correct name for this dahlia is Kenora Macop B"

His answer was:

"I checked with Jack Mayhoffer the world famous Dahlia grower and expert and he says you are looney!"

I responded with: "You might check with Jeannie & Gordie Leroux, who are the hybridizers of the Kenora dahlia varieties. It was named for a chemo medication Gordie was
taking. Jeannie's e-mail is: Gorjean@aol.com"

His response was: "Jack Mayhoffer the world's Dahlia expert says you probably wouldn't know a Dahlia if it hit you in the face. He recommends you read his latest book, "Getting High on Dahlias"

I can find no book by that name, and Jack Mayhoffer isn't known by any of the people who responded to me on the dahlias yahoo group. He also offers a dahlia he describes as being BLUE. Anyone who has much knowledge of dahlias knows there is no blue dahlia.

I won't deal with a person who is so unprofessional.

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Hirt's Bulbmart on eBay?

What a charmer. Bet he won't be in business long. Sounds like he's been getting high on something other than dahlias.
Do you suppose this is the same guy stealing photos as in this thread?
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/con121956168183.html

Google Jack Mayhoffer once. Dahlias aren't his forte, I don't think. The Ebay seller is jerking your chain and it's good of you to alert us.

o

Hmmm... judging from his response I believe the seller must be in the 1st grade. It sounds like something my 7 year old neighbor would say when upset.

Thanks for the warning.

I've had great luck on ebay, but I stick to the small sellers who are gardners and just sell a bit here and there. I was tempted to get an unusual lily from Hirts last year and now I'm glad I just bought from a lady who grows them at home.

o

It goes to show you what seperation does for one's attitude. They'll never see you - so what's one customer. That's where they are wrong - ha ha ha.

o

I've bought tons of stuff from them. Always great plants and seeds. Fast and friendly. I don't know...

o

uhh, the name "Jack Mayhoffer" is naughty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolinas Dahlia Society's newly designed website

o

Alot of people on the canna forum have purchased varigated Stuttgut canna rhizomes from them...only to find out later that the cannas had no varigation. I've stayed away from them just based on that, and from the way he handled your question....I'm glad I did.

o

My experience is a negative for Bulbmart. I purchased 3 Starship Enterprise irises from them through eBay. They were a little pricey to boot. It took two years for them to finally bloom and they were not Starship Enterprise irises. I wrote to Mr. Hirt twice - once to see if he would replace them with the correct irises.....which I had my doubts about him sending even though I still had my emails to and from him concerning shipping. The second email was just to ask if he could at least identify the iris he sent as I had sent a few photos to him. There was no response to either of my emails. (Maybe that's good after hearing how he responds to most people.) I see he's up and selling more irises on eBay again. Naturally, I would never buy from him a second time and hope nobody else falls victim to him either.

o

Bad experience from this idiot, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here