Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Any varieties from last year that you won't be growing this year?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Were there any dahlia varieties that didn't meet your expectations, maybe weren't prolific enough bloomers, or maybe took too long to bloom? Maybe you bought a variety that looked good in the pictures, but not so good in real life once they bloomed?

The only one I was disappointed in was Blackberry Ripple. I don't necessarily think that the variety was the problem, I think the source of the tubers was the problem. I've seen Blackberry Ripple that looked pretty good, but the ones I got from the grocery store had a yellowish brown area in the flower centers where the remaining petals were yet to open, and it looked fairly ugly. I threw out the tubers.

Aside from that, I was a bit disappointed in Citron De Cap, because it took a long time to bloom(97 days), and it wasnt very prolific, and even though it only grew 3 main laterals, the flowers were still much smaller on average than advertised. Supposed to be 7", but they actually averaged between 3"-5.5", with most around 5". But I will be growing 1 of them this year, and trading or giving away the rest of the tubers that make it through winter.

Comments (6)

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

I have learned that what grows poorly in one person's garden will flourish in another. Don't know why! Citron Du Cap was a late bloomer in my garden too, but I got several really nice blooms from mid Sept to early October. I don't discount Citron because of lateness . . . just about all my plants were late last year.

What did I not like? Last year, I decided to strike out and try more anenomies and singles. They are nice enough for the garden, but they just don't . . . make "the cut." Often, the outer petals are goners before I ever get them out of the bucket at work to put into a vase. So . . . this year, I'm planting one Platinum Blonde and one Pooh. Wheels, Rock Star, Double Trouble, Sean C, and Lucky Ducky are all gone. I'm keeping Blonde and Pooh because the bees seem very fond of both of those forms, so figure I'll leave blooms from those two plants just for the bees.

Also, didn't care for Hulin's Carnival, Skywalker, Hakuyou and Redd Devil. There are probably others.

Those that it's just a matter of personal taste, I sell to my dahlia club. If the bloom or plant had something wrong with it, it's compost.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    12 years ago

I had Kelvin Floodlight from 2 different sources and the one I had purchased from a local nursery really looked nothing like the tuber I had received in a trade. The flower never looked as full and the petals would often turn brown. I tossed that one.

My Candlelight from Swan Island rarely looks as pretty as it does in the catalog. Mostly it looks like dirty yellow but once it awile it throws a nice orange/yellow blend. I don't really love it but I keep planting it every year, probably because it is the first one to bloom every summer and it seems to store very well since I have had that one for years.

As for the late bloomers, I plan on starting the biggest AA's in the house in late March. I did that with Show N Tell last year and it was blooming profusely by July. I made a list of the ones I'm going to start early. I don't have room to start them all or I would.

As for your Citron Du Cap, I would love to trade you something for that one. I have been eyeing that one for a few years and would like to try it. I have quite a few dahlias in storage and hopefully will have a lot of varities to trade in the spring. If you're interested, you can email me on my member page.

Linda

• honnat
    12 years ago

Most of the ones that I won't be bringing back is not by choice, it's because I couldn't get any good tubers!
    I also like to give things two years before I really give up. So after two years, I'll quit trying with two of my varities - Pee Gee and Bodacious. I know both of them could be striking - but I can't have any luck with them.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    12 years ago

I grew Bodacious for a couple of years. The first year it was beautiful and looked just like the picture in the catalog. The 2nd year, all the flowers came out single and it didn't have many on it. The tuber didn't make it thru the winter so I don't have it anymore. It never produced a lot of tubers for me.

Linda

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention Bodacious. Bodacious, Annette C and Wynns Sensation were all coming out singles. All being composted in the local compostery.

Kenora Wildfire and Islander? Both old favorites? I'm getting rid of my stock and seeking better. I know that both of these varieties are gorgeous, but they are blooming undersized, and with Wildfire, worse, they wilt way too soon. So those Wildfire tubers won't be showing up in the dahlia club sales either.

I've been reading a book written by a Northwest vegetable grower discussing some common soil problems in the maritime northwest ("Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" by Steve Solomon.) The problem I'm having with bloom size may have a lot to do with soil deficiencies. I've always just fertilized, not paying enough attention to what my soil needs. This year, I'm working to build some better soil. Even though the author is a veggie guy, he's got interesting things to say, and a very successful nearby dahlia grower recommended reading the chapter on building soil. We'll see if what I learn renders any improvements to my AA's that often bloom like B's.

• dahlianut
    12 years ago

each years harvest of tubers are clones. Like copying machine
    copies they tend to fade out over the years and some disappear. You have to look around and try and buy a replacement tuber from a reputable grower who will replace
    it if it doesn't grow.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?