Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia support - how many stems ? Pinching?

Posted by thisbetty 7b NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 14:00

I read the post on supports and have had best luck with the inverted cages pinned down with the severed legs. But when I READ THE POST RE: cuttings vs. tubers, I realized that the reason I always really love the potted plants bought on sale in summer is that they are probably from a cutting. They have one main stem - not too many laterals and make a beautifully shaped plant- many blooms. The next yr. they are more of the sprawlers that Ihave come to expect.

When I divide , shoule I make sure there is only one eye? Am I pinching back too often and getting more laterals than I can control. PLEASE help, I have always loved my dahlias, but I know that I am pruning them incorrectly. I am not seeking 10 or 12 inch blooms, and I have a large variety of types - and would include more decoratives if I could grow them well. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia support - how many stems ? Pinching?

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 16:16

The more one pinches the plant, the more laterals one will have. It makes sense, if one pinches off the leader, the plant will try to send up another leader, usually more than one.

When planting, I usually only try to have one eye. If there is a tuber with several eyes, one can split the tuber, let the wound dry a littlel, coat the cut with a fungicide, and place both pieces in new pots to make more plants.

Be sure they get lots of sun.

o

I simply pull up or cut off extra shoots that come up.

o

Hi this betty, It's hard to tell how many eyes a tuber will have, but aim for one. Rub out or cut off more than one eye that sprouts from the tuber for the healthiest plant. Or cut off extra shoots that emerge from the ground as mentioned.

I'm not sure what you mean by pruning dahlias. You can "top" them, by pinching out the center growth stalk, and you can disbranch them by several methods, but I like laterals: laterals = flowers and if you don't care about size of bloom, then the more the merrier. They definitely call for support, or your flowers will end up on the ground.
The link below might help you. And it might help me too, so I am going to read it thoroughly LOL.

There's another website I've read that addresses contolling the laterals. If I find it, I will post it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia care

o

Thank you. Poochella, I should have said 'pinching back' instead of pruning. Perhaps I do this too early in the season & end up with too many stems - and then I pinch those, etc...
I always stake or use the inverted tom. cages or both. Someone had a comment about the cause for huge hollow stems, - often happens for me on the larger varieties.

All help is truly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here