Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pairing with dahlias?

Posted by greenrn 5 chicago (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 14:25

Looking forward to my first dahlia experience this summer - what pairs nicely with dahlias? If possible I'd like continual color, or at least something with nice foliage, so maybe I need an early summer bloomer.
I prefer perennials but could be talked into annuals ...
The dahlias I ordered are a deep red, a white with red tips and a peachish shade.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pairing with dahlias?

I like upright things: early liatris, lilies, glads, then later on,cushiony lower things like mums and asters. But mostly, I like dahlias :)

o

What about Roses?...I'm planning on adding Dahlias to my Rose beds (here and there) My two favorites together.

o

The only trouble with trying to companion a dahlia is ...just where the heck is the dahlia going to stop growing.
A plant put in the wrong exposure next to a dahlia plant might be one that is needing to grow well in shade.

Personally, I have monarda growing next to 4 dahlia plants....that is, when I put them back into the ground..and the monarda I have to keep from growing into the dahlia....but that's a simple matter.
In front...toward more of the sun, I have an Annabelle hydrangea.
My iris, lilies, peonies, oriental poppies are all long gone from the scene so they don't offer any hindrance.
My yellow loosestrife in front is loose enough that the dahlia doesn't interfere with...and the black eye susans
are far enough away. Same with my oriental lilies.

All these are substantial plants in their own right so they tough it out with the dahlia.

o

thanks jeannie, your last point is well taken - I'll look for something that can stand its own ground - no pun intended.

o

Ashli, unless you are planning on planting dwarf and miniature dahlias that can be used as ground cover I dont think that dahlias are a good companion for roses, they can get quite large and tall ( like that 10 ft tall 3 feet wide monster that grows every summer in my garden ) shading everything and anything around it, miniatures and dwarfs dont grow that tall and wide. But still they are beautiful enough to be considered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here