Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

About anemone-flowered Dahlias?

linaria_gw
9 years ago

Hello
friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type, they are still searching the note with the full name...

I never grew any anemoneDahlias, so I cant really help them on that point. They described that the flower starts looking like a simple daisy-thing, like an Echinacea, and that the center gets kind of fluffy or rises up while opening, due to those tubular petals.

My question: is that typical for anemone-types in general or for certain cultivars.

My friends were fascinated by the changing shape, so perhaps another anemone- cultivar could do the same trick?

I hope I got my question right, thanks for answers, bye, Lin

Comments (3)

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

That sounds about right, Lin. They typically have 'puffy' centers with tubed florets.

Here's the American Dahlia Society's definition of the anemone form:

ANEMONE Dahlias: A dome of elongated tubular disc florets surrounded by one or more rows of ray florets. The ray florets should be uniform in shape, size and formation and be regularly arranged around the disc florets. The ray florets should be visible from the face of the bloom, creating a pleasant and balanced framing of the dome. The disc florets should also be uniform in shape, size and formation and be fully developed. Each disc floret should be entirely tubular or predominantly tubular with a fringed tip.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

You can really see the tubes in the back bloom. This variety really blooms its head off, and does well in shows, too!

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello CC,
    great to hear from you, thanks for your answer.
    The attached pics are most helpful as they show young and open flowerheads ( which change as described...)
    In thhe catalogues it's usually just a fully opened flower. So now I select some pics and let them choose.

By the way, I ordered from a grower in Latvia for the coming season, not a whole bunch, just some very simple waterlily types, and from the farmer who started with 500 cultivars last summer, he has some Swan island or American cultivars, some more water liliew as well. Glad I did so, I decided not to grow any cultivars that don't enthrall me, I just have so few, than each one should be excellent for me...

Completely off topic, my aunt died last night, not surprising as she had a weak heart and stuff. Another reminder that life is finite and you should enjoy it while you can. Not going on a spree or something,

find pleasure in little things, count your blessings...

Well, and look forward to some funny cultivar that has exactly the right kind of fire engine red that I like in some flowers.

Thanks, I hope you have a good start into the Dahlia season, bye, Lin