Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlias in containers

Posted by jmmedeiros z9USA,CALIFORNI (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 17:32

Hello,

This is the first time I am growing dahlias.I bought a bag of "bulbs to blooms",dutch grown dahlia bulbs in Costco.It has 5 Hawaii Dalia bulbs and 5 Yellow Eye Dahlia bulbs.I have 7 large terracota pots of 1.5 to 2.0 feet diameter and 1.5 feet tall.I would like to know how many dahlias I can plant in each pot.I am thinking about using "cactus and citrus" potting mix or regular cactus mix.I would like to know if any of these two potting mixes are ok for growing dahlias in pots.Or I would like to know if there is dahlia potting mix commercially available.I am planning to place the pots in my sunny patio without any saucers for good drainage.I appreciate your info on this subject.Thank you.Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlias in containers

Your pots are big enough for dahlias. Hawaii is 4 ft tall for me, so a stake would be recommended when you plant it, or plant it next to some kind of support- fence, deck uprights, etc. I hated the crosswires in the pot and found them unnecessary.

Don't know cactus soil mix. It sounds sandy. In pots in a sunny location, one enemy will be moisture loss. I used Soil Moistening polymers in 1/3 compost, 1/3 topsoil (with more compost in it) and 1/3 potting mix. Still, on the hottest days in black pots they needed water daily, once up and growing.

They should grow well and the tubers do nearly as well in a pot as in the garden. On the taller (4ft) varieties the foliage was more sparse, but the flowers were fine. I might have missed topping those, though. 3 footers are great in pots.

My opinion would be to only put one Hawaii in each pot rather than crowd the tubers. Three would be too many, two would look funny. How tall is 'Yellow Eye?' If it's shorter, maybe you could do one Hawaii and two yellow eye in a triangle.

Do a search on growing dahlias in pots and you'll find more links that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Dahlias in Pots from ADS site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here