Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Dahlia is this?

Posted by gr8heather none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 18:51

I got this in a mix at Costco last year, and I just love it! I'm not sure of the variety though. In the early summer, it was pink, and later on, it had this orange yellow color. I am wondering if I should take it out of it's winter storage and try to propagate some cuttings. I only have 2 tubers of this variety, and I've never tried taking cuttings of dahlias before, but I have been very successful with roses. How hard is it to propagate dahlias via cutting? How long does it take for them to form a tuber?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Dahlia is this?

This is the same dahlia, earlier last summer.

o

The first one looks like Lady Darlene.

o

I would say, definitely Lady Darlene. I haven't had much experience with making cuttings but that's on my slate to learn this year. I think I have been told that Lady Darlene is a hard one to get tubers from...ordered it once and none of that person's LD's Provided good tubers when it was time to fill orders. That has kind of made me shy away from it, much as i Love the appearance of it! We need to learn to grow "pot tubers".

o

Nice! Looking it up, I think you guys are right. Would it hurt my tubers to start them growing in a windowsill now, and try to get cuttings off of them? What do I do with the tubers once I have taken the cuttings, should I try to make them go back into dormancy, or let them grow in the window until it is time to plant them outside?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here