Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Best unusual or rarer dahlias for cutting.

oath5
14 years ago

I love Dahlias, I don't think I've seen one I don't like. Dahlias, gladiolas, and zinnias are a STAPLE here in my family's Maryland garden, they all do well here, and actually had a white dahlia come back last summer from the year before and produced like mad. We are avid flower lovers and wanted to start selling bouquets of flowers either at farmer's markets or at a stand somewhere people will see them.

I love dahlias, especially historical ones, stuff you don't see everywhere, or rarer ones. I kind of want to carry over that and sell cut dahlias that give that "what is that?" kind of effect. However this poses a problem, while some older garden dahlias like 'Old Gold' and small pom poms like 'Little Beeswings' and 'Hockley Maroon' produced a ton of blooms other beautiful, awe inspiring blooms of dahlias like 'Mrs. George Le Boutillier', while gorgeous, simply did not bloom enough to really be included in a "production line" stock for cut flowers. Personally, that didn't bother me, for when it did flower it was a treat, but from a practical standpoint I was wondering what are the better unusual or older dahlias that make great cut flowers and produce well?

I was eying 'Juanita' as I heard it has good heat tolerance and it can get pretty muggy here in the summers. Does that make a good cut flower/good producer?

Also what about 'Union Jack' & 'Mrs. H. Brown', they have laxer stems but do they last ok?

Thanks!

Max

Comments (8)

• groall
    14 years ago

Most of your dahlias will take the heat well, you might just have to put a little more water to some...most of your BB (4-6 inch flowers) are your best cut flower size....there are some gardeners who have lots of your heirloom types but there are a lot of great cut flowers...ie...Just Peachy Bld. or/pk, Chilson Pride Pk/w,Kari Fruit Saled, Santa Clause, Ringo r/w, Stanza or., two that my wife likes...Dark Magic, Dana Irs,...Dainty Miss, Paul Smith, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Lupin Ben, Wildwood Marie, Embrace.....could go on and on...I raise all of these and about 250 more but all of the above, great cut flower, most great tuber producers...I take a lot of flowers to Hospice and they love them...and Max, don't feel bad Dahlias are for men.......

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

for 30 yrs we have been growing a fd orange. it is 3 1/2 ft high and loaded with bloom for the season. I have a surplus of tubers for it. You are welcome to stop by and pick them up. it's a bb size. Steve S.

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

Hi Max,

I personally cannot answer your question, but perhaps if you contacted the National Capital Dahlia society they could give you some great advice. They also have dahlia sales several times each spring. If you scroll way down on the web page, you will see pictures of Nick from Heritage Rosarium whom I believe you know.

Another knowledgable person is Bob Wollam of Wollam Gardens. He has acres of dahlias which he grows to take to markets.

Good luck to you.

Kathy

• oath5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions! I have a whole lot more to play with than I thought, I mean we've always had great luck with dahlias but I always heard they didn't like heat. Go figure! Seems like I have of contacting and research to do! And yes I do know Nick! I've gotten two of my roses from him, very nice guy, he was in town for the Maryland State Fair and actually was kind enough to drop off the roses I had ordered.

Steve, I'm currently very tied up in college (I try to squeeze as much horticulture stuff like this for fun when I can) but where in Maryland are you located? If my dad and I have a free day between us we could certainly stop by. We both love orange, actually!

Hope everyone's staying moderately warm with this weird weather!

Max

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

perry hall, white marsh, nottingham. we have miny miny names. all the same neck of the bushes. Steve S.

• oath5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's not too far Steve! I'll shoot you an email!

Thanks!

Max

• ogroser
    14 years ago

Max - I happened to drop by here since I also grow dahlias. I grow about 400 stakes, mostly moderns, but some of my bbs, minis, balls. mini balls and poms are excellent producers. I can also set you up to see a couple of grower friends in MD and No.VA who grow for cut flowers as well. I saw Bob Wollens operation a couple of years ago as well and it is well worth seeing. You should consider using hortonova netting to save tying time, if you are considering growing a fair number. Best, Nick

• oath5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woah! Thanks Nick, I'd love some contacts if you can give me some! But what about you, what varieties are your favorites? Also how would you go about using the hortonova netting, essetially like a fence? I've only grown dahlias casually either in the garden bed or out in rows in the garden.

Send me an email, would love to chat anyway.

- Max