Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laperouse

New to Dahlias - questions re culture

laperouse
16 years ago

I am totally new to Dahlia growing although I grew up with seeing them in my grandfather's gardens (and naturally loved them).

I have a couple of questions regarding their culture, and since the search engine appears to be out of order, I hope you all don't mind sharing your knowledge again.

1. In your opinion, what are the best mail order suppliers with reasonable prices? Does anyone know Sid's in Nova Scotia? I like his selection from looking at it on the web. So far I just bought "Classic Giselle" from Bent and Brecky's - a supplier I know and trust for bulbs.

2. When is the best time for planting in my zone? Does the soil have to have a certain temperature? I am kind of assuming that planting takes place some time in late Spring/early summer? so what do you plant in it's place so as not to have huge gaps in your border where the dahlias will go in later?

3. What kind of soil do Dahlias prefer?

4. I saw a post saying that rabbits and squirrels like the fresh new foliage. Anyone have any experience with woodchucks? Should I encage them until they have some height to avoid critter damage? I also have deer.

I thought I had more questions but I can't think of them right now. I am grateful for any experience you can share.

Marianne

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022