Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lezard_gw

show me dahlia I want choose

lezard
13 years ago

Show me your own pictures of dahlias that I think of buy.

Unfortunately I can buy all the dahlias that I list here only a few-among them, help me choose the best..

SHOW N TELL

BODACIOUS

NICK SR

BIG WOW

ZORRO

KARMA BON BINI

CLARA HUSTON

WESTON SPANISH DANCER

PLUM PRETTY

Comments (4)

• teddahlia
    13 years ago

If you want to try one of the best new giant dahlias that has been introduced recently, you should try Nick Sr. from Swan Island Dahlias. It is named after it�s originator, the late Nick Gitts Sr. He was the owner of Swan Island Dahlias for many years and loved to breed big dahlias. The flower is a true giant in every way. Even the tubers are over-sized. The plants grow 6 to 7 feet tall and has stalks resembling an oak tree. The flowers are easily 14 inches in diameter(if well grown) and have good depth. And the color of the flowers is very striking. The flower petals are red on the top and a shade of yellow on the back. Since the florets twist a bit, the yellows are mixed with the reds, creating an exotic look. The stems of the flower are also very stiff and long. If you grow giant dahlias there is none better in my opinion. Picture from Swan Island:

http://www.dahlias.com/nicksr-item026.aspx

• lezard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Teddaliah, th dahlia Nick Sr seems to be a truly extraordinary Dahlia is sure I'll order it. Thank you for your wonderful description and the picture.

Member of this forum who are familiar with dahlias continue to give me your impressions so I choose the best dalhia from the list I wrote above.

• davidinsf
    13 years ago

Hello Lezard

Just a thought.

Depending on how long your blooming season lasts, I would not be as focused on which are 'the best' (which is a relative term to each person anyway) but I would make sure I had a variety of early, mid and late bloomers.

I made the 'mistake' of going for attractive dahlias without realizing they all tended to bloom at once. This year, my order from Swan Is. was centered on early and late bloomers to fill in the 'gaps' of blooming cycles. (As well as focusing on plant heights since you cannot plant a 5 footer in front of a 3 1/2 footer and expect to reasonably see the smaller plants blooms.)

I had only 2 out of maybe 25 that bloomed into October and every day I kicked myself for not thinking about that when I ordered originally. My yard may look like Butchart Gardens in June and July but then looks like a neglected weed patch in Sept.

If your supplier does not indicate the bloom cycle, I am sure the knowledgeable folks here can help you out. I have deduced that most of the giant dahlias (over 10" -like Bodacious) tend to be late bloomers. I suspect they need more sun?

• honnat
    13 years ago

Of the ones you listed; i've only grown BODACIOUS. I would second the other poster that suggested Nick Sr. It is very similar to BODACIOUS; but much "better." Better form. I had only one really large bodacious bloom and the others were quite diappointing. Here is the one that turned out better.

{{gwi:633416}}