Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never Grown Dahlias...

Posted by thorn_grower Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 12:14

I've never grown these beauty's.. What information do I need.. Where is the best place to purchase, Are some easier to grown than others. Any help would be great..
I grow roses, perennials, some annuals like zinnias. So I have experience growing things. Summer is sometimes hot and always humid, 85f-95f... Z5,,

Thnx..... Mark....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never Grown Dahlias...

I'd suggest starting with the Swan Island Dahlias site. It where I bought my first tubers and has lots of good info on growing them. If you have specific questions you can run searches on this forum, there is a huge amount of information here, you just have to sift through it.

People grow Dahlias everywhere in the US, the Pacific northwest seems to be where most of the professional growers are, but I have seen great Dahlias everywhere from Alaska to Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swan Island - how to grow….

o

Mark,

One issue to be aware of is that while dahlias are technically perennials, the tuber they grow from cannot be allowed to freeze. In your climate you should plan to either dig the tubers up at the end of the season or just let them freeze and plan to buy new tubers next season. Also they don't like intense heat (it will cause deformed flowers) so if you can plant them in a location where they will get afternoon shade in midsummer that would be beneficial.

o

Thnx for the information.....

Mark

o
Dry tubers

• Posted by maxyck zone5b canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 11:16

Last fall I wrapped my dahlia tubers in newspapers and put them in paper bags. I checked them in January and they looked okay. Yesterday I checked three of the tubers (I have 16) and they seemed dried up. I put the three in water overnight. They appeared a bit better this morning. I have them drying off before I wrap them again. I have to take a look at the remainder. Should I do what I did or something else. Any help would be appreciated. Maxyck

o

Maxyck, I don't think that wrapping tubers in newspaper is such a good idea. As you have observed they will lose too much moisture.

There is excellent information about digging, dividing and storing dahlias on the web at the following link:
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/TuberStor/TuberStor1.htm

Another storage method that I have used successfully is to dig the entire clump and pack it into a 5 gallon bucket surrounded by regular garden soil. It is fine for the soil to have a little bit of moisture but you certainly don't want it to be water logged. I store the bucket somewhere where the temperature will stay cold but not freezing during the winter. You can divide the clump in the spring or replant the whole thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here