Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to Dahlia...does it grow from both bottom and top?

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:25

Dear Garden Folk

All right...I’ve read to plant the tubers in 2"-3" soil. (to get an early start) Is that enough? Will the Dahlia grow roots or will it sprout just from the top?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to Dahlia...does it grow from both bottom and top?

Top end of tuber produces sprouts. Bottom of tuber produces roots.

o

Is the root system large? If the tubers are to go in a 2"- 3" of soil (which was recommended to me) will there be enough room for the roots

o

If you are starting them inside, in pots, with plans to move them into the ground when it warms up, then planting them shallow to wake them up and get a head start is fine. You will plant them deeper (6") when you move them into the beds. If you are planning on keeping them in pots then you need to either plant them deeper, or plant them shallow in a deep pot and add soil as they grow.

So yes 2-3 " of soil is enough if they are only in there for 3-4 weeks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here