Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giraffe Dahlias experience?

Posted by keriann_lakegeneva 5B WI/IL border (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 13:12

Has anyone grown these? How do they look? How are their tuber production?

I have found minimal info on-line about them.

Thanks in advance!

Keriann~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giraffe Dahlias experience?

Giraffe and Pink Giraffe are old time varieties from England. They have a very unusual petal formation that is much like the modern stellar form. In addition they have an extremely rare color scheme that includes horizontal stripes of color on the ray florets. Pink Giraffe is a color sport of Giraffe, having sported from the yellow orange colors of Giraffe to the pink and dark pink colors of Pink Giraffe. They are fun to grow but are not very vigorous growers. Les Connell used Giraffe to produce Tahoma Giraffe and it is a bit easier to grow and looks somewhat like Giraffe.

o
Picture of Giraffe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyhilldahlias/5467017000/

o

Thanks Ted!

DO you know where I can get an original Giraffe dahlia? I am not a big fan of the pink ones.

I have found them on easy to grow bulbs and I have had good luck with their tubers, but prefer supporting a small family company.

Thanks again

Keriann~

o

Hi Keriann,

Do you know about the "Big List" that shows who carries which cultivars? I think that you will get better quality and better selection from a family business.

The link that Ted posted is a photo from "Hollyhill" Dahlias.

Gail

Here is a link that might be useful: Big List

o

Thanks Gail!

I have never seen that list before, that is SO useful!

Keriann~

o

Shoot- it is not listed on the big list and Hollyhill does not have it.....

Bummer

Keriann~

o

Keriann,
Yes, it is. Go down to the long alpha listing of types.
Gail

o

On the Big List both Giraffe and Pink Giraffe are listed as being sold by three vendors. Of course, they may be sold out but you may be able to reserve some for next year. It appears that Tahoma Giraffe is not being sold by anybody. I grow it and may make sure it is available from a commercial source next year. It is just about as nice as the Giraffes and quite a bit easier to grow. Here is a link to a picture of Tahoma Giraffe:
http://www.aroundbeantown.com/hollyhilldahlias/files/Tahoma_GiraffeBiggs.jpg

o

That would be wonderful, that is a gorgeous plant.

Nicole

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here