Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This years collection

Posted by bunti 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 14:34

last year I have planted few dahlias in my garden. I have got bulbs from lowes. In the picture, they are very bright and nice looking. when they bloomed in my yard, they are pale color and didn't last long but the number of blooms are many.

the bulbs have doubled in an year. hope this year i will have many more blooms.

I will update with my blooms.

I have added few dahlias this year. here are the varieties i have got.

Nick Sr
 photo NickSr_Dahlia_zpsba09b074.jpg

Golden Scepter
 photo GoldenScepter_Dahlia_zps7f0c9990.jpg

Fantaste Du Cape
 photo FantasteDuCape_dahlia_zps17850d65.jpg

Cornell Giant
 photo CornellGiantBall_Dahlia_zps393f2da9.jpg

Art Deco Gallery
 photo ArtDecoGallery_Dahlia_zpsc84ab734.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This years collection

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 17:34

Your dahlias are lovely! Hope you have successfully overwintered the dahlias.

o

Bunti, did you fertilize and mulch last year? It sounds like your dahlias could use extra fertilizer every week or so, in low dosages. And dahlias like their water, too!

The easy way to fertilize is to treat them like tomatoes. Purists will have my heart out for saying that, but if you don't want to get bogged down in buying lots of different supplements (like bonemeal, alfalfa pellets, 0-20-20 specialty fertilizer, etc.), and just want to improve your plants/blooms, look for basic fertilizer for tomatoes and follow the directions, repeating as often as the directions suggest until September.

Good luck with your new varieties! Nick Sr. is a beauty, but a late bloomer, so you might want to start him early inside in a pot before planting him out in your yard.

o

CCvacation,

I have dug all my dahlia tuber from ground and kept them in the garage. Now i have planted them in pots.

I don't see any growth. Do you want me feed them now only, or after seeing little growth?

I live in zone 7. Can i leave the bulbs in the ground during winter?

Thank you,

o

Tubers need no fertilizer in the beginning as the tubers themselves store fertilizer. If you did not see any eyes starting to sprout when you put them in the pots, it is very possible your storage method killed the tubers. Water plus temps of about 70 degrees for a week or two so should get them to sprout if they are going to do so.

Tubers can be left in the ground in any zone where the soil does not freeze to a depth of about 3 inches. Killing temps are usually in the low 20s for more than 2 or 3 days in a row. Mulch like tree leaves can keep them from freezing in much cooler temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here