Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

A question for jroot

cats39
17 years ago

Hi jroot!

IÂd like to ask you a question regarding your reply to your Ontario neighbor marricÂs post of "When do I start?".

You replied I usually start in late February / early March with laying the tubers out, slightly/half covered with a growing medium, under lights.

ItÂs the slightly half-out that IÂm referring to. IÂve been saving tubers for about 3 years. IÂve always just taken the tubers out of storage buried with a medium and waited for sprouts. Then took my cuttings. I start them in March and the problem I face is what I call bolting, or the plant growing to fast. I use flourescent lights with 2 - 40 watt bulbs.

Do you feel by slightly half-covering slows this type of growth down? Or do you think there is anything else I can do to try and prevent this quick type of growth before they see daylight?

Personally I don't think waiting 'til April is the answer as our season is to short as it is.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

BTW Although these plants arenÂt effected by early bolting. You asked about my 7' tall plants several months ago. One is pictured in the 3rd photo down in the post, Dahlias from 2006 1/22/07

Comment (1)