Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tuber clump

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 08 at 17:15

I just received a catalog from a company that sells dahlias and other plants. They showed the size of the clump they send for one dahlia. It has about 6 tubers on it? I receive one tuber when I order from suppliers. No problem with that. My questions is, wouldn't that send up too many stems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tuber clump

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 9:28

Yes, but if you think about it, you would be able to split the tuber and get several plants out of one clump. That is a bonus. :)

o

Most of the time when you get a clump from a supplier some- if not all of the tubers are broken at the neck & have to be cut off because they won't do anything except sit there & rot. If you're lucky you'll get one or 2 that are still attached & will grow. These you can divide. You want to keep the stems down to one per plant.
When you get a nice solid, eyed-up tuber from a dahlia supplier you're going to get a nice plant & be just as far ahead as that clump with the broken necks.

o

Thanks. It was a surprise when I saw the clump variety as I have always used Swan and a couple of others and it is one tuber.

o

Thats interesting: Ive only bought from stores and have always received a clump. Sometimes theres some loose tubers in the bag but most are attached to one dry stem.

Whats the rationale behind wanting just one stem? Im not trying to exhibit large flowers, or have a tall plant, but am more interested in having a short and bushy plant. I thought having multiple or branched stems would lead to that.

o

The more stems you have the less work the plant has to do to try to propagate itself so the fewer blooms & tubers it will put out. One sturdy stem with the branches that come off of it are far better than multipul spindly stems.
Ellie

o

Ah! So my goal should be one stem, then pinch to induce branching on that?

o

That is correct. But when the stem has about 3 sets of leaves (they are in pairs), then "stop" the growth to force it to become like a bush. You should get about 6 laterals to grow which will become flowers. If you want long stem (I do for the shows), then you disbud when 3 or 4 buds start to form. You want to keep the center bud.

Dale

www.pugetsounddahlias.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here