Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Moved and Didn't Bring it With Me

I hope you can give me some ideas. Several years ago I planted a tuber (name unknown) that a friend online sent to me. It was deep red/maroon almost black. Huge blossoms with almost curled petals. Quite stunning.

I regret that I didn't bring it with me, but have no way of getting back to it.

Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• homemommy
    15 years ago

Without a photo, it is likely going to be near impossible to come up with the exact name of the plant. However, you may get some leads on similar plants... One that comes to mind as something you may like is Black Wizard, there is a link to see a picture of it...

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/springbulbs/dahlias/giantdinner/blackwizard

No chance that you can find you online friend and ask??

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Homemommy, If you didn't nail it, you came pretty close. I may not remember correctly, but it seems to me the petals were curlier, not so stiff. However, I LOVE Black Wizard, and will make an effort to include it in my garden this year.

As for my friend, the old computer that had her info died long ago, so I have no way of contacting her. I remember her screen name but I searched the web and couldn't find her anywhere. She was a stock market friend back in the days when we all traded penny stocks.... Those days are long gone!!

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Suzi

• Poochella
    15 years ago

You can go to the ADS guide site and search by color, form, size. Might give you some leads on identifying your dahlia.

Follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS search guide

Original Author
    15 years ago

poochella, that is a great site! Thank You! I was disappointed at the lack of photos, though. However, I loved looking at all the combinations for the color DR (Dark Red), and I'm sure I'll be visiting that site a lot!!

I found some photos in a Dahlia Catalog in Europe, but no links for purchase. They do list where in Europe you can visit to see only, and where the tubers are sold. Here at least I could see photos: http://www.dahlie.net/dyn/index.php?lang=en

This one isn't black enough for me, but I am now in lust: Caproz Jewel of Arlene

On to the wish list for that one!

Thanks!

• girl_in_the_garden7
    15 years ago

If you are into the deep red almost black colors, you'd probably like my favorite called Arabian Night. Have you grown it? It's bloom is probably not quite as large as the one you lost, but osme of mine have gotten to 6" across. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arabian Night Dahlia

Original Author
    15 years ago

Girl in the garden7, Thanks for the link. That is truly a beautiful Dahlia. It's now on my list. Not the one I left behind, but certainly one worth having! Thanks!!

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Desertdance, I'm disappointed by the lack of photos at the ADS link as well. Didn't realize there was so much lacking there, sorry.

One of my favorite dahlias in the dark red realm is 'Black Cat' aka 'Chat Noir.' The inner petals really are closer to black than any other dark red I've grown. Dynamite stems and lots of blooms. I bought this on a lark at a nursery, your typical packaged clump of half dead tubers. What a find! The petals are really sturdy, flowers last long in a vase. Most blooms are in the 5-6 " range.
    One more photo link to follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cat

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Another

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd Black Cat

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Check out the stems.
    {{gwi:633823}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Poochella! I actually like the 4-6" blooms. They don't drown out my roses in a bouquet. I have Black Cat on my list! Very nice stems! Nice pictures!!
    Suzi

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

{{gwi:629999}}
    {{gwi:633825}}
    Just a couple of other dark dahlias.

• lovedahlias
    15 years ago

Hello,

I think that you might want to try Kenora Macob! This dahlia has an absolutely lovely dark maroon color! It does well in the garden, grows to 42-48 inches in my garden and the bulbs multiple and keep well in the winter! Good luck!

Paula

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts