Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shriveled

Posted by idafrances 4 (emilydawn77@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 18:47

Hi there,

After researching and talking to different dahlia fans around, I thought I had stored my tubers pretty well. I checked on them today and they are all shriveled! Just a couple seem to have mold.

Is this salvageable? What did I do wrong?

I rinsed them off, hung them upside down, then stored them in my basement with newspaper for a little insulation, but not tightly wrapped.

Thanks for listening...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shriveled

Hi,
Was the rinsing and hanging upside down in newspaper after you found them shrivelled, or is that how you stored them in the first place? Something a little more protective of moisture loss i.e. vermiculite or wood shavings might be better in the future.

For the mold, 10% bleach water rinse or lysol spray would help now. A lot of people use sulphur dust to coat the tubers for winter storage. Don't use it if you have a sulfa allergy.

o

I was given really really really shrivelled tubers this fall. I managed to get them to sprout this spring!

These are the things I think made them successful;

1.) I bathed them in a 10% bleach solution to kill of any fungus / mold for around 1/2 an hour. Then switched them over to a water bath for a few more hours to try and help hydrate them. I added a tablespoon of an anti fungal product called "no damp" to the water bath, but I don't think this is critical. Afterwards, you have to let them dry off for an hour or two.

2.) Once they are dry, they are ready to package them up for storage, or start to try and grow them. If you want to store them a bit longer. I recommend putting them in wood shavings (the type you get at a pet store, really inexpensive, pine or cedar, or a mix of both). Another good choice for storing them would be vermiculite. If you only have a few tubers, then try putting them with the shavings in a ziplock and stash it in the fridge. If there are too many for the fridge, then find as cool a place as you can. check on them every few days if you can.

o

Thank you for the help!!! I plan to try to revive them, and either way, I've learning my lesson. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here