Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dividing store bought Dahlias

Posted by ceaser7 z5 NW INDIANA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 19:16

I was wondering if I purchase some dahlias from the store now, Can I, should I, try to divide them now?

Also I was wanting to try my hand at propagating Dahlias.
Is it advisable to purchase some now, let them sprout, and take cuttings now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dividing store bought Dahlias

An update, I am having problems with damping off.
The cuttings are approx 3", dipped in Clonex rooting hormone. I am trying styrofoam cups, with Miracle Grow potting soil, unheated, 7" humidity dome, in a window with indirect sunlight.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I will post this on the propagating forum as well.
Thanks

o

I would suggest that you put your cuttings on a heating pad and that you make sure they get 14+ hours of light each day.

o

Thanks Steve,
I'm trying a heating pad and lights as we speak.

o

I have had much much better success growing cuttings (of any sort) in pearlite, than in soil. If you are still having rotting issues give it a try. If you use clear plastic drinking cups then you can see when the roots are developed enough to re-pot them without pulling them out to check. I have also read in posts from professional growers that Dahlias do not need rooting compound to grow from cuttings.

o
RE: cuttings

I would also suggest that you read: Success With Cuttings By Bill McClaren.
http://dahlias.net/seabox/McClaren.htm

There is also a lot of good info on the Colorado Dahlia Society web site.

http://www.dahlias.net/
http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Propagation/Cuttings.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Success With Cuttings

o

For what it's worth I just read a contrary opinion that heating pads provide too much heat for dahlia cuttings and that 70 degrees and no hotter is ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here